Permitting for Deck or Pergola Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Archive » Permitting for Deck or Pergola « Previous Next »

  Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Author Message

New member
Username: Anonymous101

Post Number: 1
Registered: 11-2003
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 09:21 pm:   

What permititng is required to build a detatched deck or pergola behind a house. If the resident is performing the work himself, what inspections are required during the building process (depths of footings, structural, etc.)

Donnie Mayfield, Chief Building Official
Username: Donnie_mayfield

Post Number: 31
Registered: 06-2003
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 10:16 am:   

A regular building permit would be required.
If the pergola has a roof, it will have to meet set-back requirements.
To process the building permit, a plot plan or lot survey showing the placement of the deck and pergola, specifications, and drawings must be submitted with the application.If you have have other questions, please call 972-335-5580.

New member
Username: Clc

Post Number: 1
Registered: 07-2003
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 03:52 pm:   

What are the setback "rules" pertaining to a roofed pergola? We have a neighbor whose extends
all the way to their fence. How did this get approved? thanks for any insight

Donnie Mayfield, Chief Building Official
Username: Donnie_mayfield

Post Number: 34
Registered: 06-2003
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2003 - 12:32 pm:   

Chris: We would need the address. It is very possible that it was not permitted. Please call 972-335-5580 ext 188 and leave the address. You can do this without leaving your name.

New member
Username: Er1

Post Number: 1
Registered: 12-2003
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:29 am:   

We have a similar situation in our neighborhood.

What can the city do in such a circumstance? Can the property owner be forced to remove the offending structure if it was not approved and does not meet set-back requirements?

Also, is there a mechanism when applying for a permit for getting input from adjacent property owners before variances and permits are granted?
I know in our case, all of us (adjacent homeowners) would have spoken out against the offending structure. Not only doe sit now meet city requirements, it violates HOA rules as well. Unfortunately, the HOA seems to be reluctant to do anything.

Thanks for your time

Donnie Mayfield, Chief Building Official
Username: Donnie_mayfield

Post Number: 35
Registered: 06-2003
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 03:01 pm:   

Yes, the city can require the owner to remove an illegal structure. The H.O.A. process is left to the individual associations. The city does not enforce H.O.A. regulations. The city does not do notifications, when a Permit Application is presented. Please call 972-335-5580 ext. 188 to report the address of the offending structure.

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message