Ryan T. Wilson
Post Number: 12
|Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 09:43 pm: |
With all the traffic that the new Walmart will draw, it seems pretty obvious that Hickory will have to be widened to at least four lanes in this area. What I'm wondering is who will pay for it. I know that some residential developers pay for neighborhood streets... any chance Walmart will pay for new lanes?
Joel Fitts, Senior Traffic Engineer
Post Number: 55
|Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 10:18 pm: |
Hickory Street does not need to be widened in the way you envision because it is already 41 feet wide. However, other road improvements will be necessary. As is the case with all commercial developments, Walmart will pay for the roadway improvements necessary to support its development.
Walmart will make the following improvements:
* Restripe Hickory Street to delineate two outbound lanes and an inbound lane at Preston Road.
* Construct right-turn deceleration lanes into the Walmart driveways off of Hickory Street.
* Construct right-turn deceleration lanes into the Walmart driveways off of Preston Road.
* Construct a traffic signal at the intersection of Preston Road and Hickory Street.
* Widen Gary Burns Drive to three lanes, including a continuous two-way left-turn lane down the middle (as well as provide an additional right-turn lane at its intersection with Preston Road).
Senior Traffic Engineer