Block Party Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Block Party « Previous Next »

  Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Author Message

C & P
New member
Username: Cpl

Post Number: 4
Registered: 08-2005
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   

What are the rules and regulations for having a block party on our street. Our thought is to block off the middle part of the street for a gathering area. Are there permits or something like that we have to get from the city?

Todd Renshaw, Chief of Police
Username: Todd

Post Number: 339
Registered: 01-2002
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:28 am:   

From Officer Robert Monts:

Currently the city does not require a permit in order for a citizen to have or host a block party on their street or in the surrounding residential area. However, should the event involve food vendors we strongly recommend that the requester contact Carey Frazier with City Building Inspections at 972-335-5580 ext 186 as permits may be required in this case. Regardless of the size and nature of the block party, the police department asks that the party organizer complete a block party registration form at least one month prior to the date of the party. There is no cost associated with the registration process. A block party registration form can be obtained by contacting the Frisco Police Department Records Division at 972-292-6000.

The block party registration form serves in part as a notification mechanism for various departments within the city that may potentially be affected by the party. Additionally, the form also serves as a method for the party organizer to make special requests (i.e., if they would like the FD and/or PD to attend, if they plan on blocking off a street, etc.). Once the form is submitted it must be approved by the PD Operations Bureau Commander and the Fire Chief. Copies of the form are also sent to the City Street Department, PD Community Services and Police Dispatch. The block party organizer will be contacted by the Police Records Division no more than one week prior to the date of the party in regards to the status of the request.

During National Night Out (and NNO only) a special block party registration form is used. This form is distributed by the Frisco Police Department Community Services Division and is generally available/distributed beginning in May.

Normally the biggest concern surrounding block parties is the blocking off and closing of streets. In most cases the city will allow a residential street to be blocked off for this purpose, but in case where the city deems that the closing of the area requested poses a hazard (i.e., an intersection, highly traveled thoroughfare, etc.) the request may be denied. The city also recommends the use of cones when blocking off streets (cars or other vehicles are NOT to be used for this purpose).

Cones are available for rent from the Department of Public Works. Specific information concerning cones (and much of what is mentioned above) is also addressed in the registration form itself.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message