Speed limits on Main Street between P... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Speed limits on Main Street between Preston and Custer « Previous Next »

  Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Author Message

Carolyn Kresek Lis
New member
Username: Clis

Post Number: 1
Registered: 09-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 03:37 pm:   

What is the rationale for two different speed zones on Main Street between Preston and Custer?

Daniel Ford
Username: Daniel_ford

Post Number: 27
Registered: 06-2010
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 03:05 pm:   


The speed limits are based on the result of speed studies. Speed studies are typically conducted using a radar gun to measure the speed of 120 vehicles over a two hour period during non peak hours at several different locations along a roadway. Once the studies are complete they are evaluated to determine the 85th percentile speed. This is the speed that 85 percent of the drivers travel at or lower while the remaining 15 percent travel above that speed. For example, if the 85th percentile speed was 47mph, then 85 percent were travelling 47mph or less while 15 percent were travelling faster than 47mph. Using the 85th percentile speed, the limit is then set to the nearest 5mph.

While a roadway may appear to look similar throughout its length, the measurements may not. The speed limits reflect how the speed measurements were different in different areas.

Brian Moen
Assistant Director of Engineering

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message