Ag Exemption in Frisco Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Ag Exemption in Frisco « Previous Next »

  Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Author Message

Michael Ryan
New member
Username: Mryan

Post Number: 1
Registered: 07-2010
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 08:37 pm:   


Just wondering if it is possible and if so how and what are the conditions?


Ben Brezina, Assistant to the City Manag
Username: Ben_brezina

Post Number: 37
Registered: 06-2010
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 09:50 am:   

Agricultural and Timberland Appraisal
The comptroller's office gathers data to develop agricultural productivity values for the property value study. A major source of information for the Property Tax Assistance Division is the annual Farm and Ranch Survey (PDF, 653 KB).
How may landowners qualify for special use appraisal?
Lands owners can apply for two types of special appraisals - appraisal based on productivity value and appraisal based on restrictions to use of land as public access property or recreation, park or scenic land.
Productivity value is based on land's ability to produce agricultural or timber products and is usually lower than market value. Additional information is available in the Manual for the Appraisal of Agricultural Lands and the Manual for the Appraisal of Timberland.
Requirements for lands restricted to public airport or recreational, park and scenic lands vary. Additional information is available in these documents: Guidelines for the Appraisal of Public Access Airport Property and Guidelines for the Appraisal of Recreational, Park and Scenic Land.
What land qualifies for agricultural appraisal?
Property owners may qualify for agricultural appraisal if land meets the following criteria:
The land must be devoted principally to agricultural use. Agricultural use includes producing crops, livestock, poultry, fish, or cover crops. It also can include leaving the land idle for a government program or for normal crop or livestock rotation. Land used for raising certain exotic animals (including exotic birds) to produce human food or other items of commercial value qualifies. Cutting wood for use in fences or structures on adjacent agricultural land also qualifies.
Using land for wildlife management is an agricultural use, if such land was previously qualified open-space land and is actively used for wildlife management. Wildlife management land must be used in at least three of seven specific ways to propagate a breeding population of wild animals for human use.
Agricultural land must be devoted to production at a level of intensity that is common in the local area.
The land must have been devoted to agricultural or timber production for at least five of the past seven years. However, land within the city limits must have been devoted continuously for the preceding five years, unless the land did not receive substantially equal city services as other properties in the city.
What happens if land receiving an agricultural appraisal changes to a non-agricultural use?
If land receiving an agricultural appraisal changes to a non-agricultural use, the property owner who changes the use will owe a rollback tax. The rollback tax is due for each of the previous five years in which the land got the lower appraisal. The rollback tax is the difference between the taxes paid on the land's agricultural value and the taxes paid if the land had been taxed on its higher market value. Plus, the owner pays 7 percent interest for each year from the date that the taxes would have been due. For example, the fifth year of rollback tax bill may include as much as 35 percent interest, depending on the date the use changed.

Anita Cothran,
Finance Director

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message