Water Conservation Program Questions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Archive » Water Conservation Program Questions « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Scott Wilson
Username: Scottwil01

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 10:41 pm:   

The city just put in effect a Water Conservation Program where Outdoor Watering is Prohibited 5 a.m. 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. 6 p.m. June 1st September 30th. Please let me know that I am concerned about this program. It states nothing regarding washing cars, cleaning out boats or power washing a fence or walkway. Am I now not allowed to wash my car or clean my boat out on a saturday. This is the only time I have to do these tasks on the weekend or when I get home from the lake. Please let me know. I understand about watering lawns and landscape but occasional tasks like car washing, boat cleaning and household cleaning work (power washing windows, fence, or walkway) is concerning. Please let me know if these tasks are part of this conversation program. Can I be fined for washing my car on the weekend?

Concerned Citizen

Gary Hartwell, Director of Public Works
Username: Gary

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 09:05 am:   

Scott:

Our ordinance specifically prohibits landscape irrigation from 5 to 8 am and from 10 am to 6 pm from June 1 to September 30 of each year. As long as we are not in drought conditions that prohibit all outdoor uses, you may wash your boat, car, or fence at anytime. Just use water wisely. If you have addtional questions, please contact my office at 972-335-5520. Thanks.

John Skinner
Username: Cicero

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 09:38 am:   

Since the city has these watering restrictions, why do I see watering on city property such as roadway medians at 6:30 am which is a restricted time.

Chris Wood
Username: Sailagain

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   

Just curious as to how this ordinance was communicated to the general public? This is the first I am hearing of it.

Ken
Username: Ken

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   

What kind of enforcement is there for this? I see lots of sprinkler systems going during the restricted hours (primarily in the morning.)

Dana Baird, Dir. of Communications
Username: Dana

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:07 am:   

Chris,

The information is being/has been communicated to the public in a variety of ways. A press release was issued on June 3 and was picked up by several media outlets, including the Dallas Morning News and a few radio and television stations. That same release was distributed to our E-list news and information service, which has more than 600 subscribers now. Anyone is welcome to subscribe and you can do so by clicking on Communication on the top navigation bar on our website -- and choosing E-News. The information is also posted on our website and on "bandit" informational signs, which are placed many busy intersections around town. A reminder has been placed inside utility bills -- and the information will appear in your July Focal Point (the city's newsletter), which is in the mail this week. The watering restriction hours are also posted on the rotating "Community Bulletin Board" which is broadcast on our government access channel, which runs on cable channels 12 & 15 -- and has been mentioned several times during council meetings, which also air regularly on the same cable channels (for a complete schedule, check out website)The information was also distributed to Home Owners Associations. The information was also shared with our Frisco Chamber of Commerce. If you have other ideas for distributing information,we welcome your suggestions. Please feel free to contact me at dbaird@friscotexas.gov

Sincerely,

Dana Baird
Director of Communications & Media Relations

(Message edited by admin on June 27, 2005)

Rick Wieland, Dir. of Parks and Rec
Username: Rick

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:57 am:   

Mr. Skinner,

Thanks for your note and comments on watering taking place on medians at a restricted time. First of all, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I would encourage anyone that observes watering at times that are restricted by the water conservation ordinance to contact either the Public Works Department at (972) 335-5520 or our office (972) 335-5517 immediately so that we can respond accordingly.

With an inventory of over 1,100 zones and 15,000 irrigation heads, we monitor these systems regularly to ensure that they are in good working order, but there are occassions in which valves may stick or heads become misdirected.

Letting us know where the location of misdirected heads or times in which watering is observed will tell us whether or not the area in question is exempted by the ordinance or not in compliance.

In addition to identifying times in which watering can take place the water conservation ordinance also identifies those cases where exemptions are applicable. This would include the establishment of new turf through hydro mulching and/or laying of new sod. This will typically occur at new homes, development of medians and parkways, parks, and other landscaping development in public and private areas.

Typically, there is a period of 3-4 weeks where freshly hydrom mulched or sodded areas will require watering for several times a day until such time as a healthy root system is in place. After that time, watering can be cut back and conform to the ordinance as allowed. Prior to that time, notice to the Public Works department requesting this exemption is required.

Recent examples of newly hydro mulched or sodded areas with this exemption are:

* Hillcrest Road - From FM 3537 to College Parkway;
* Southeast Community Park
* Preston Manor Park
* Fairways Green Park

I hope that this has helped to explain some of the watering activity that you have observed. If it has not, please do not hesitate to contact me or our staff at any time and we will be happy to discuss this further with you.

Thank you for your note and comments.

Sincerely,

Rick Wieland
Director of Parks and Recreation
(972) 335-5517
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Gary Hartwell, Director of Public Works
Username: Gary

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:51 am:   

Ken:

The purpose of our new ordinance is to conserve and manage our drinking water during increased demands during the summer months, not to issue citations and collect fines. However, the ordinance has provisions for fines up to $2,000 per day per occurance if necessary. If you have additional concerns, you may contact my office at 972-335-5520. Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: