Electric and Gas Provider for Panther... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Archive » Electric and Gas Provider for Panther Creek community « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Michael Yeo
Username: Mikeyeo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 01:10 pm:   

I have recently moved into the Panther Creek community and did not have a choice of selecting gas or electric provider. The only company that is the provider for the entire community is CoServe.
What does it take/ the process of getting them out of the community or open up the services to allow other company to provide to the community.

Please someone provide some information or help.

(Message edited by amyg on November 18, 2004)

Amy Gill, Assistant to the City Manager
Username: Amyg

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 11:15 am:   

Michael- There is no City regulation stating that other companies cannot serve the area. However, as you can imagine, running utility lines is extremely expensive, and therefore not attractive in areas already served by a provider. This is due to the large number of customers that would have to switch over in order to make the infrastructure costs worthwhile. The state’s deregulation of retail utilities did not apply to municipally owned utilities or member owned cooperatives. As CoServ is a coop, they are exempt from having to lease their lines to other companies that may want to provide service in the area.

As far as what can be done, you could contact your state legislators to share your concerns. If there is a specific problem with CoServ that you are having trouble getting resolved, I would be happy to contact them on your behalf, or put you in touch with the area’s representative on the CoServ Board. We have found them to be responsive.

Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Amy Gill
City of Frisco
972-335-5551 X119

Joseph Todd
Username: Joey_todd

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 04:40 pm:   

Amy,

Can you explain why certain areas of town are served by TXU while others by CoServe? Who decides which utility company serves an area in Frisco?

Jason Gray, Assistant City Manager
Username: Jason

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 10:26 am:   

Mr. Todd-

Generally speaking, the Public Utility Commission of Texas regulates the areas which electric providers can serve. That being said, there are some areas that are single certified (meaning only one provider can serve the area) and others that are dual certified (meaning that two providers can serve the area). Frisco has both single and dual certified areas. In the areas that are served by TXU Electric Distribution, (whether single certified or dual certified) third parties are able to lease the lines owned by TXU ED and provide retail power over those lines. Amy's post above describes the areas that are served by CoServ.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks-

Jason Gray
Assistant City Manager

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: