More Tree Questions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Archive » More Tree Questions « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 09:14 pm:   

The builder of my house has placed 2 hardwood trees in the front yard. I would like to plant 2 or 3 trees in the back yard. Do these trees need to be hardwoods also or can these "extra" trees be anything my little heart desires? Is there a list of approved trees?

Scott Ingalls, Zoning & Subdivision Admi
Username: Scott_ingalls

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 08:45 am:   

Thank you for your question on minimum tree requirements. The Zoning Ordinance requires that two hardwood trees be planted on a residential lot to meet minimum requirements. Once those requirements have been meet the homeowner may plant as many "extra" trees as they wish. The City's list of approved trees only applies to the minimum requirements. Once you have satisfied that requirement you may plant any tree species that you wish. We would only suggest that you plant species that will do well in our climate to conserve water.

Scott Ingalls, Zoning and Subdivision Administrator

Anonymous
Username: Frisco_resident

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 10:10 am:   

Does a Subdivision such as Preston Vineyard Villages North (Pulte's attached homes to be specific) fall under the same "2 hardwood tree minimum requirement"? I was under the impression that they provide no trees at all.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 01:47 pm:   

There is a house on Limerick Drive in Heritage Green that has one "hardwood tree" only. It looks as if they pulled up one tree and replaced it with a fountain. Can someone from the city go by to take a look at this home and see if it meets requirements?

Donnie Mayfield, Chief Building Official
Username: Donnie_mayfield

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 01:23 pm:   

Code Enforcement will visit Heritage Green.
They will check the home for compliance, sometimes the homeowners relocate trees to other parts of the yard. If this was not done, the homeowner will be asked to comply.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 03:24 pm:   

How about Preston Vineyard Villages North community with duplex and SF-5 under the plan? Pulte puts only one tree in most houses it builds, while diamond puts two. How did those houses pass the CO with so obvious code violation?

Anonymous
Username: Frisco_resident

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 03:32 pm:   

Do you have an answer for the Preston Vineyard Villages sub with no trees?

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 04:44 pm:   

Subdivisions such as Preston Vineyard Villages are required to provide a minimum of 1 large or shade tree per lot. The tree may be provided in the front or rear yard and may be allowed in the rights-of-way depending upon the type of property development that is occuring. If you have any specific locations within Preston Vineyard that you would like inspected please email me at singalls@ci.frisco.tx.us and I will have someone check the location for compliance.

Scott Ingalls
Zoning and Subdivision Administrator

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 10:24 pm:   

Obviously from the landscaping Zoning ordinance, it says for any SF-5 above 7000sf and also duplex should have 2 trees. why are both Preston Vineyard Villages North (duplex) and Preston Vineyard North (single family homes)exceptions with only one tree required mentioned in your answer above? Thanks!

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   

The attached units in the Preston Vineyard Villages North are required to have one shade tree per lot. Each of the attached units occupies its own individual lot. An on-site inspection shows that each of the units that has received its certificate of occupancy has planted one shade tree in the front yard. This includes the units that are being marketed by Pulte. At this time they are in compliance. Those homes in Preston Vineyard North that have received their COs have planted two trees. The code allows the trees to be planted in the front or rear yards. It does not require that both trees be planted in the front yard so some houses may have only one tree in the front yard. The other required tree is planted in the rear yard. If you have specific building sites that you feel are not in compliance please email me at singalls@ci.frisco.tx.us and I will have someone visit the specific location. Thank you.

Scott Ingalls

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 06:40 pm:   

Has anyone made it out to Heritage Green as of yet? If so, is the home in compliance?

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 03:05 pm:   

A Code Officier visited Heritage Green, the tree had been removed by the homeowner. The homeowner is going to replace the removed tree.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 05:03 pm:   

So, after the builder meets the requirements of planting two hardwood trees, can those trees be removed and replaced with smaller fruit trees? It sounds like you always have to have two hardwood trees, but I've been told otherwise by another representative of the city.

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 01:14 pm:   

No, but the ordinance does provide for substitution with City approval. This approval must come from the City's Landscape Architect.
The substitution is three Ornamental Trees for each Large Tree.

Lon Fairless
Username: Lonfairless

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 08:12 am:   

I also live in HG with a small corner lot that requires 4 trees. I have visited older neighborhoods in the region where tress were required by landscape regulations. After about 10 to 15 years the required trees cause havoc with sidewalks, driveways and even streets. They suck the moisture from certain areas causing heaves, dips and cracks. Since "planning" implies long term forethought is there a strategy? Has the city budgeted for corrections on both private and public property?

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 04:30 pm:   

Trees form an important part of the City's urban environment. Planting trees too close to sidewalks or driveways has the potential for causing damage over time. However, if planted in appropriate locations, trees will not have a detrimental impact upon adjacent site improvements and will add to the property and the surrounding neighborhood.

In the event that a tree does damage a public street or sidewalk over time, city crews would be responsible for repair of the damaged improvement.

Scott Ingalls

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: