Leaving kids in the car.... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Archive » Leaving kids in the car.... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Adam & Maria Peterson
Username: Adamaria

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 09:25 pm:   

What is the actual law for leaving kids in the car? What if you leave the car running, air conditioner on of course, with a capable 11 year old in charge? How about if the car is off but all the windows are rolled down? What is the age limit for doing this? I've heard so many sad stories lately and would hate to think that even though I know my child would act responsibly, I could get in trouble for doing this.

Thanks!

Todd Renshaw, Chief of Police
Username: Todd

Post Number: 162
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 07:34 am:   

From the Texas Penal Code
22.10. Leaving a Child in a Vehicle

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly leaves a child in a motor vehicle for longer than five minutes, knowing that the child is:

(1) younger than seven years of age; and

(2) not attended by an individual in the vehicle who is 14 years of age or older.

(b) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

It is also a violation of state law to leave your vehicle running when unattended. We recommend to never leave a child in a car. The potential consequences certainly outweigh the convenience.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 04:31 pm:   

Cheif Renshaw,
Please clarify what constitues an unatended vehicle. Does a licensed driver or and individual old enough to operate a vehicle have to be present for it to be considered "attended".

Todd Renshaw, Chief of Police
Username: Todd

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 02:44 pm:   

Yes. A licensed driver.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: