Archive through March 15, 2002 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Archive » Sports Leagues » Archive through March 15, 2002 « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 08:23 am:   

I was wondering why Frisco does not offer more adult sports leagues. For example, I have a friend that lives in Flower Mound. He is able to play men's church league softball and co-ed softball each week. They also offer an adult church flag-football league. Flower Mound is not much larger than Frisco. Why does the city not offer more choices for adults?

Brent
Posted on Friday, March 15, 2002 - 11:47 am:   

What would it take for the Parks and Recreation service to start a softball league here in Frisco?

Rick Wieland, Dir. of Parks and Rec (Rick)
Posted on Friday, March 15, 2002 - 12:34 pm:   

Dear Anonymous and Brent,

Thanks for your inquiries regarding adult softball and other adult sports leagues in Frisco.

You may not be aware of it, but the Frisco Parks and Recreation Department has offered adult sports leagues since 1996. Over that time, we have offered and coordinated leagues in adult softball, basketball and volleyball.

Our adult softball leagues are typically provided for in the spring, summer and fall each year. They are typically played at the Shawnee Trail Sports Complex, located at the intersection of Hillcrest Road and College Parkway. In fact, our Spring league began approximately two weeks ago and the summer league should follow within the next two months. Should you be interested in tournament play, we currently are advertising an adult tournament on May 4-5, 2002.

Our men's basketball league is currently concluding its season and staff is considering offering a summer league as well.

We publicize these leagues through the use of the City's web page, the Frisco Enterprise, Dallas Morning News, and the Frisco Fun magazine which provides information of all of our programs, activities and special events throughout the year.

Having said this, I want to emphasize that our department continues to look at additional programs that can be offered to all residents in Frisco. That would certainly include our adult athletics programming.

Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me or my staff.

Rick Wieland
Director of Parks and Recreation
(972) 335-5517
rwieland@ci.frisco.tx.us

Marcy Jones
Superintendent of Recreation
(972) 377-1083
mjones@ci.frisco.tx.us

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, March 15, 2002 - 09:57 am:   

I don't want to answer for the city but the church leagues you are referring to are not run by the city of Flower Mound. They are run by the local churches I'm sure. Have you contacted your church to see is they offer any adult league sports?

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, March 15, 2002 - 04:22 pm:   

No, the Flower Mound leagues are run by the city.

Thanks for the info about the adult softball and basketball leagues.

I would still like to see something along the lines of adult flag football.

Rick Wieland, Dir. of Parks and Rec (Rick)
Posted on Friday, March 15, 2002 - 04:57 pm:   

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for your follow up note. In regard to your request about adult flag football, we have offered it a couple of times in the past, but did not receive much input at that time.

I will pass this along to my staff and see if this might be something that we could look to offer this upcoming fall.

Should you have any additional comments or suggestions, please feel free to contact me or my staff.

Thanks again,

Rick Wieland
Director of Parks and Recreation
(972) 335-5517
rwieland@ci.frisco.tx.us

Marcy Jones
Superintendent of Recreation
(972) 377-1083
mjones@ci.frisco.tx.us