Winter Rye Grass Restriction? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Winter Rye Grass Restriction? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Craig
Username: Hartsell

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 09:51 pm:   

I have heard the city may not allow the planting of winter rye this year due to the water restrictions. Will this be a restriction or can I proceed with planting as usual this year?

Gary Hartwell, Director of Public Works
Username: Gary

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 09:42 am:   

Craig:

Based on a recent task force meeting at the North Texas Municipal Water District, the district is going to recommend that winter over-seeding of existing turf be prohibited. The City of Frisco wants to comply with all district recommendations. If you have other questions, please contact my office at 972-292-5800. Thanks.

Sriram Iyer
Username: Sriramiyer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   

I already have winter rye on my lawn that has not died despite the dry summer we have had. Will this be a problem for me?

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:12 am:   

Sriram:

If adopted by our council, winter rye will not qualify as new landscaping, which has a 30 day exemption from some of our water restrictions. Therefore, you may only water outside on your regular trash day once a week. If you have other concerns, please contact my office at 972-292-5800. Thanks.

Brian C
Username: Brianc

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   

Will this apply to all businesses, the FISD as well as all city owned structures?

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 07:24 am:   

Brian:

The only exceptions being considered are those associated with public safety at our parks and on our athletic fields. Thanks for your inquiry. You may call my office at 972-292-5800 if you have additional questions.

Brian C

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   

Can you explain why those exceptions? Winter rye is actually a slippery type of grass which to me would seem more unsafe at parks/fields than simply dead winter grass.

Rick Wieland, Dir. of Parks and Rec
Username: Rick

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 09:03 pm:   

Brian,

Thanks for your message. Annual rye grass does result in a slippery playing surface when used on athletic fields (it also stains clothing or uniforms easily). However, the Parks Department only uses a triple blend perennial rye that is the same as those used on college and professional athletic fields.

We cut our rye seed order in half this year and will only be doing some of our athletic fields, particularly those with excessive wear. In the past we have over seeded some parks for aesthetic reasons. However, the only actual park areas we will over seed with rye this fall will be a couple of practice areas that are used on a regular basis.

Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss further.

Bob Johnson
Superintendent of Parks
972-335-5517
bjohnson@friscotexas.gov

Brian C

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 10:12 am:   

What date will the use of rye overseeding happen?

(Message edited by admin on September 22, 2006)

Curt Balogh, Spec. Asst. to the City Mgr
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 313
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   

Brian,

We actually did most of our over seeding this week. We have a few fields left to do at Bacchus Community Park next week.

I have discussed the over seeding issue with Gary Hartwell, our Public Works Director, on several occasions. One of the main reasons for wanting to limit over seeding of rye during the current drought situation is due to the fact that a lot of people grossly over water rye grass, both during the germination and growing season. Youíve probably witnessed standing water during the winter months along the frontages of many shopping centers and businesses. A lot of irrigation controllers are never re-programmed after the seed germinates and are left watering several times a day all through the winter. Many people treat rye grass like Bermuda during the germination period. The fact is, minimal water is actually needed, and during the fall months, the process is often helped by Mother Nature. The same can be said after it is established. In the past, we have had successful stands of rye grass in areas that didnít even have irrigation.

We seldom water our rye during the winter months when the sports fall sports seasons have concluded. Normally we wait until about three weeks before the spring seasons start, at which time we fertilize and water a couple of times. Again, during that time of year we many times get help from Mother Nature with some late winter or early spring rains.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss further.

Regards,
Bob Johnson
Superintendent of Parks
972-335-5517
bjohnson@friscotexas.gov

T Silva
Username: Tsilva

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 03:01 pm:   

Was wondering when the 30 day watering allowance starts and ends - is it from the day I move in?

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 03:08 pm:   

T Silva:

The new landscape exemption actually begins on the first day that the new landscaping is watered and ends 30 days later. Thanks for your inquiry. Please call my office if you have other questions at 972-292-5800.

Randall Warren
Username: Swtiques

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 09:12 am:   

Two questions concerning planting rye grass winter color at the entrances of our neighborhood:
1) Is rye grass prohibited from being planted in the front of a neighborhood?
2) If we plant winter color at the entrances to our neighborhood, can it be watered in for 30 days, or just on trash days?
Thanks

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 01:23 pm:   

Randall:
Rye grass or flowers used for winter color is not considered new landscaping and can only be watered once a week on the regular trash day. Any use of water this winter that is not absolutely necessary may lead to a serious water shortage next summer without adequate rain in the next few months. If you have additional questions, please contact my office at 972-292-5800. Thanks.

Brian Murphy
Username: Brianmurphy1969

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 11:18 am:   

I've noticed that there are some homes that have this green rye grass this winter, as well as plenty of communities such as Grey Hawk, and others.

Was last year's drought the exception, or what do you recommend? I'm still new to Texas, but I do hate the dead dormant, brown grass for 5 months. I'd like to go with the green, overseeded rye next winter.

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 09:51 am:   

Brian:

I guess it is a matter of perspective. I have lived in North Texas my entire life, so dormant grass in the winter has always been part of the seasonal landscape for me. Winter Rye grass does require a large amount of water for germination and would never be considered as a necessary water use. During any future water restrictions, over-seeding will not be considered as new landscaping and will not carry the 30 day new landscape exemption. Also, your annual monthly sewer bills are based on your winter water usage. If you have any further questions, please contact me at 972-292-5800. Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: