Eldorado & Custer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Eldorado & Custer « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Chris Wood
Username: Sailagain

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 08:37 am:   

To my surprise this morning I found this intersection was turned into a 4 way stop? The traffic going south on Custer was backed almost to the Westridge golf club at 6:40AM - I imagine it got worse as more people started their travel.

The problem seems to me that not enough people access this road from the east or the west to justify this disruption. Indeed, the entire time I was waiting to proceed to the sign, and could see the intersection, only 2 cars pulled up to access Custer.

Please tell me why the entire commuter traffic pattern going south must be delayed for an additional 15 mins for such small volume of traffic that will benefit from this new 4 way stop?

Perry Harts, Information Services Mgr
Username: Perry

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 08:29 am:   

TxDOT has approved the installation of a traffic signal at this location. The design of the signal is being completed this week and we hope the construction will be complete by the end of November. However, none of us could have anticipated nine accidents at this location after Eldorado Pkwy was opened to the east in mid July. Two of the warrants for a 4-way stop in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control are as follows:

1. Where traffic signals are warranted and urgently needed, the multi-way stop is an interim measure that can be installed quickly to control traffic while arrangements are being made for the signal installation.

2. An accident problem, as indicated by five or more reported accidents of a type susceptible of correction by a multi-way stop installation in a 12-month period. Such accidents include right and left-turn collisions as well as right-angle accidents.

We were notified of an accident problem by numerous phone calls from citizens in July. After discussions with the City of McKinney and TxDOT, we jointly reached a decision to install a temporary 4-way stop until the traffic signal is completed. We realized that drivers on Custer Road would be inconvenienced especially during the first several days until they found alternate routes.

The delay on Custer Road the first two days after the stop signs were installed was excessive. However, on August 28, we recorded a delay less than eight minutes to pass the stop sign at Eldorado Parkway at 7:50 am. We believe that this inconvenience is justified to reduce the severity of accidents noted since Eldorado Parkway opened last month.

Brian Moen
Transportation Manager

William Yiu
Username: Fisherking1234

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:29 am:   

You mentioned in your last post that construction of a signal light will be completed by the end of November. What is the status on this project?

(Message edited by admin on November 16, 2006)

Kimberly Dalton, EIT
Username: Kimberly_dalton

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 05:18 pm:   

The City of McKinney is constructing this traffic signal. I have spoken to representatives from the contractor who is constructing this traffic signal and they are expecting the signal to be complete by mid to late December. Equipment should be visibile to the public within the next two weeks.

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message