Water issue/question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Water issue/question « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Chris Berry
Username: Ouchris

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 10:25 am:   

The last month or so my wife and I thought there was a strange "Gas" smell coming from our water. I got online and read that Frisco was dumping extra chlorine in the water supply (even though our next street over neighbors said they never smelled anything).

That should have ended a month ago or so. This morning my wife calls and says that there was a water truck parked in front of our house and the gentelment was messing with our water box. She said she was woken up by the sounds of water rushing through our walls (water in pipes I'm sure). She then went upstairs and noticed that very strong "gas" (chlorine?) smell again.

Questions: What was this person doing? Are you still flushing the water with chlorine? Was this only for certain areas/streets? Why didn't our back alley neighbors ever smell anything? Is it possible for this worker to flush/run water in our house without us turning the faucets on causing that sound?

This happened 8 AM 2/27/13. 8200 block of Waimea street.

Thanks,
Chris

Ben Brezina, Assistant to the City Manag
Username: Ben_brezina

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 02:19 pm:   

The City of Frisco purchases treated drinking water and does not add any chemicals to our water. The additional chlorine was added by our water supplier, the North Texas Municipal Water District as an annual preventive maintenance measure. This chlorine maintenance to improve our water quality began on January 14 and was completed by the water district on February 11, 2013. Everyone has a different sensitivity to odors, but the additional chlorine was evenly distributed throughout our system. One possibility for the smell of chlorine could result from a guest bathroom or a part of the house where the toilet or a faucet was not used for several days. The continuous use of water throughout the house will minimize any impact of additional chlorine.

Maintenance of our water distribution will never create usage for any of our water customers. Rattling pipes can be caused by changes in pressure, which should not occur if you have a properly operating pressure reducing valve (PRV) on your water service line. All homes in Frisco have been required to have a PRV since early 2002. If your home was built prior to 2002, you may want to consult with a plumber to discuss the installation of a PRV or the repair of an existing PRV. We have a rebate program to cover new installations if approved prior to the installation.

This morning we replaced a defective water meter at 8208 Waimea. Turning water off for a few minutes to replace a water meter could cause some pipe vibration but only at the house where the meter is being replaced.

Gary R. Hartwell, P.E.
Director
Public Works

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: