All Q&A About Stage 3 Water Restricti... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » All Q&A About Stage 3 Water Restrictions « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Steve Yunker
Username: Av8r4golf767

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 02:49 pm:   

Frisco is hardly fully developed. How is it prepared to provide water in the coming years?

Gary Hartwell, Director of Public Works
Username: Gary

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 03:12 pm:   

Steve:

The City of Frisco is a member city of the North Texas Municipal Water District, which includes Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Plano, Richardson, Garland, Mesquite, and others. The district serves about 1.5 million people in six counties. The district has the resposibility to provide water to its members now and in the furure. Currently the district is exploring sources at least 50 years in the future.

Our problem now is the drought with the excessive use of automatic sprinkler systems. Once we eliminate the waste from over watering we will be fine. If you have additional questions or comments, please contact my office at 972-335-5520. Thanks.

Emily Kristen Craig
Username: Emily

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:37 am:   

If the city get's to stage 3 water restrictions, will the city stop issuing permits for construction of swimming pools?

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:13 am:   

Emily:

Stage 3 does not affect the construction of pools. If you have any other questions or comments, please contact my office at 972-335-5520.

Neighbor
Username: Neighbor

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 04:24 pm:   

I noticed Stage 3 water restrictions prohibit the washing and rinsing of cars by hose. I only wash my cars by hand and I contend that my method of washing is considerably less than what is done at the merchant car washes. This part of the restriction only favors these car washes. What can I do if I prefer to wash my cars by hand at home?

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 07:05 am:   

Neighbor:

Washing cars with hoses is prohibited by the Drought Contingency Plan for the entire North Texas Municipal Water District. The City of Frisco is a member of the district and will comply with this and all other restrictions until our lake levels return to normal and the restrictions are lifted. If you have other concerns, please contact my office at 972-335-5520. Thanks.

J H
Username: Imbiber

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:57 am:   

My house will be completed around july with the front and back yard sodded. New sod is going to have to stay moist daily for a couple of weeks at least if its going to survive in July heat. I didn't notice anything on the city website pertaining to this under Stage 3. Is watering new landscaping prohibited in Stage 3?

(Message edited by admin on May 26, 2006)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 03:34 pm:   

J H

New landscaping in Stage 3 has a 30 day exemption. You should be fine. After 30 days, please observe the one day watering on trash day. If you have any other concerns, please contact my office at 972-335-5520.

Robb G
Username: Robbg

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 08:35 am:   

The Stage 3 Mandate states that “Soaker hoses, drip systems and hand-held hoses may be used for trees and shrubs up to one hour on any day or for foundations as necessary".

Is this daily one hour watering period for trees, shrubs and foundations limited to the time restriction of not watering between the hours of 5am-8am and 10am-6pm?

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 09:26 am:   

Robb:

It would be better to always avoid outdoor usage from 5 am to 8 am due to this peak usage period. The 10 am to 6 pm restriction is based on evaporation. Hand-held hoses, drip systems, and soaker hoses are not really subject to evaporation. We will not focus on these type of uses as violations. If you have additional questions, please contact my office at 972-335-5520. Thanks.

Brian C
Username: Brianc

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 05:29 pm:   

1. Why has Frisco not adopted new landscape ordinances if water conservation is an issue and Frisco wants to lead this area. Other cities are not as strict as Frisco.

2. Why is there not a meter based system rater than watering restrictions? For example, a family of 5 with a pool might use more water than a home with one person who waters 3 days per week.

Curt Balogh, Spec. Asst. to the City Mgr
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 03:25 pm:   

The Planning Department is currently revising the existing Landscape Ordinance to promote water conservation and drought tolerant plants. Public Works is providing input regarding modifications to the installation of sprinkler systems focusing on drip systems in the ROW and around foundations for moisture protection. The Landscape Ordinance revisions should go to council in July, 2006.

The water restrictions focus primarily on the excessive use of automatic sprinkler systems and the associated wasted water. Stage 3 emphasizes the reduction of this waste and does not target the use of water required by businesses including the landscape companies, the pool industry, and others. With a successful reduction of outdoor water waste, the amount of indoor use will not be affected. So the number of residents per household was not a factor in the need for the water restrictions.

Jeff Pergola
Username: Jeff_pergola

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 07:13 am:   

What number can we call to report offenders of the Stage 3 water restrictions.

Drove by a house in my neighborhood yesterday afternoon (2:45pm) to see them using a sprinkler to water their yard. This was not on their trash day, and also during the restricted hours.

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 10:34 am:   

Jeff:

Please call the Department of Public Works at 972-335-5520. Thanks.

Stan
Username: Mrlukeplease

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 01:00 pm:   

Is the City working on any programs to encourage xeriscaping?

Scott Ingalls, Zoning & Subdivision Admi
Username: Scott_ingalls

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 10:46 am:   

Stan,

Currently the City's Zoning Ordinance calls for required tree and shrub plantings to be of native or adapted species. Adapted species are ones that are not native to this part of Texas but can survive and flourish in our specific climate. However, this does not prevent a property owner from installing other shrubs/trees beyond those that are required that are not adapted to our climate and require additional watering. City staff continually works with developers and property owners and recommends various plant species and landscaping improvements that utilize appropriate plant species.

The term "Xeriscape" refers to landscaping that is designed for arid or semi-arid environments. North Central Texas does not fall into this specific category. Staff is working on developing new irrigation standards that will encourage the use of appropriate watering practices for residential and non-residential developments. Please feel free to contact me at 972.335.5580, ext. 157 or by email if you have any additional questions.

Scott Ingalls
Zoning & Subdivision Administrator

Stan
Username: Mrlukeplease

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 01:15 pm:   

Are there any figures available regarding the average water usage/waste for sprinkler systems? How much of the city's water resources do they use?

And how much ends up watering concrete?

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 07:09 am:   

Stan:

Exact numbers are difficult. The average home uses about 10,000 per month for indoor uses. For an average size lot in Frisco, an addtional 15,000 gallons should be adequate for outdoor watering. So anything over 25,000 gallons a month could be excessive. During the summer, about 70% of our water usage is for outdoor watering. If you have additional questions, please contact my office at 972-335-5520. Thanks for your concerns.

Matt McGuire
Username: Mattmcg

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 08:32 pm:   

I can appreciate the fact that Frisco is actively promoting conservation of water. However, the water pressure in this city is so low during the times I am able to use sprinklers on my yard that is does virtually no good. My sprinklers are "running" right now and the water is barely trickling out. Can someone please fill us on why the city insists lowering the pressure to virtually nothing?

Board Administrator

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 01:25 pm:   

Thanks for your comments and concerns. All customers of the North Texas Municipal Water District were notified by the District to begin Stage 3 water restrictions on June 1. These restrictions also apply to Plano, Allen, McKinney, and Richardson.

We are supplying water to Little Elm on a temporary basis through a connection near El Dorado and FM 423. By mistake, Little Elm opened that connection yesterday, which will cause lower pressure during peak demands. I had specifically asked Little Elm not to open that connection on Mondays. This temporary connection is scheduled to be terminated before the end of June.

During normal usage, we have several pressure reducing valves located along the Dallas North Tollway to restrict flow and pressure from the west side of town. These valves are necessary due to the difference in elevation from the east side of Frisco to the west side. After we got the Little Elm connection closed, we opened our pressure reducing valves to send more water and pressure to the west side of town. This process took a couple of hours to stabilize higher pressure on the west side. Next Monday, we will close our valve to Little Elm for the entire day, and open our pressure reducing valves beginning at the Monday water times.

Later this summer, we will place a 50 million gallon per day pump station and two 10 million gallon ground storage tanks in service to provide water and pressure to the entire west side of Frisco.

Gary R. Hartwell, P.E.
Director of Public Works
11300 Research Road
Frisco, Texas 75034
972-335-5520 (Office)
972-335-5524 (Fax)

Matt Marks
Username: Matt

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 09:11 pm:   

As everyone is watering landscaping at the same time on trash day, there is very little water pressure. It's 9:00 p.m. on my trash day currently, and I have precious little water pressure. In the event of a fire, is the Fire Department at a disadvantage with such low water pressure? What contingencies are being undertaken by the Fire Department to ensure that public safety is not compromised on trash day during the Stage 3 water restrictions?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Board Administrator

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 01:27 pm:   

Mr. Marks,

The Frisco Fire Department has been monitoring the water pressures in the sections of Frisco where watering is permitted since last Thursday in a effort to assist the Frisco Public Works Department in maintaining adequate pressure for drinking water and firefighting efforts. Last night the pressures dropped below acceptable levels in an area of Frisco West of the Dallas North Tollway. We reported these low pressures to the Public Works officials who were also actively monitoring the pressures. A problem was identified and corrected by the Public Works Department. The pressures began showing an increase soon after the problem was found.

You are correct that when there is low water pressure the Fire Department can be at a disadvantage should there be a fire. Our first approach is to help identify when the possibility of a problem may exist thereby helping to correct the problem as quickly as possible. That was the scenario last night.

All Frisco Firefighters are aware that the possibility of low water pressures is heightened at this time. Our approach will be to add additional resources early in an incident if low pressures are present. One of our purposes in checking the pressures every evening in areas allowed to do outdoor watering is to have knowledge of the low pressure in advance of a fire.

It is my belief that the water volume and pressure exists in Frisco to provide adequate fire protection at this time. That situation can be compromised at any time, including winter months, if a problem occurs. We recognize the Citizens value a nice lawn and hope to allow outdoor watering to continue, but should the situation merit, we will ask that the outdoor watering cease if it compromises public safety just as we did last summer when a main supply line failed at the point of distribution at Lake Lavon. Fortunately we have not had to take such drastic measures this summer.

I recognize and appreciate your and all our Citizen’s concerns regarding water pressures during these drought conditions. Your interest and efforts are key to the effort to maintain adequate water in Frisco. Should you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at any time.

Thank you,
Mack Borchardt
Frisco Fire Chief
972-335-5525

Kaycee Washington
Username: Kaydub

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 01:49 pm:   

Is there a target amount of watering we should be adhering to on our water days. Many people seem to be watering 3 or 4 times during their trash day. I am not sure how this conserves any water when they are watering as much on one day as they would normally water throughout the week.

Are there any guidelines available to those of us who want to make sure we are complying with the intent of the restrictions as well?

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 07:38 am:   

Kaycee:

Excellent comment. We really need for everyone to water only one time on their trash day. You are right, watering three times on trash day violates the spirit of our restrictions. Three times a day is no different than three times a week, except that it makes it more difficult on our system. Also, we cannot enforce watering more than once on trash day. Without a reduction in usage, we could be facing Stage 4 later this summer. I live in Frisco, water one time on Wednesday with no zone set for more than 12 minutes for a total of 74 minutes. Thanks for your comments. If you have other concerns, you may call my office at 972-335-5520.

Chris Kesler
Username: Chriskesler35

Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 10:17 am:   

There was word that this morning Little Elm water was cut off by Frisco as a precautionary measure and now Little Elm is on a reserve water supply of about 1 million gallons. How long will this water last and what are the contingency plans to make sure Little Elm doesn't totally dry up?

David M Pettengill
Username: Dpettengill

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 04:31 pm:   

David:
I live on a lake and on a hill with no homes to my N, S, or E. with an iron fence surrounding the property. Because of this, any wind severely disrupts my watering. So even though today is my water day, I can't water because it would all blow away. Can I get some sort of exemption to water only once a week, but on a day when there is no wind (my choice and changes each week)? Also, PLEASE get the word out that watering 4 times on your trash day is so very wrong!!!!! ALL of my neighbors do it, like a competition to see who floods the street first.

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 02:23 pm:   

Chris:

The North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD) has supplied water to Little Elm through Frisco since August, 2000. With the rapid growth occurring in Little Elm, this amount does not allow for the excessive use of automatic sprinkler systems in conjunction with the drought. The City of Frisco will continue to provide water to Little Elm even above the minimum requirements until a new NTMWD 30 inch supply line is completed for Little Elm. This line should be in service within the next two weeks. If you have other questions, please contact me at 972-335-5520. Thanks for your concerns.

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 01:51 pm:   

David:

If you believe it is too windy to use your sprinkler system on your designated day, you may use your hand-held hose as needed on your day. We can not grant exemptions for weather or it would be impossible to provide enforcement. We are trying to inform everyone that watering excessively on one day is a violation of the spirit of the restrictions. Thanks for your comments and please call my office at 972-335-5520 if you have other concerns.

Username: Mmhabib

Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 01:26 pm:   

Does the City have any plans to deal with the low water / high level of usage that caused water outages in Little Elm?

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 02:14 pm:   

Mmhabib:

The Town of Little Elm is responsible for the enforcement of their own water restrictions. I am sure they are working very hard to reduce their usage. The Town of Little Elm is growing rapidly and a 30 inch water supply line is under construction from the North Texas Municipal Water District for Little Elm and should be operational within two weeks. Please call my office at 972-335-5520 for more information if needed.

Toni Slavonic
Username: Zeta

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 01:46 pm:   

Hi,

There are houses in my neighborhood that have the red watering violation stick in their yard and their sprinklers are still running on the non-trash days. They were on this morning and trash day is tomorrow. My question is that I thought if you had a red flag then your sprinklers were disconnected - so how can they be running? These are builder owned houses.

Thanks,
Toni

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 07:26 am:   

Toni:

If a red sign is present and a sprinkler system is operating, then someone has reconnected the system without permission. Please contact us with the address. Every violation is entered into our computer. Multiple violations can result in a citation with fines up to $2,000 per day per occurance. If we see a system operating with a red sign we will turn it off again and log another violation. Thanks for your comments. If you have additional questions, please contact my office at 972-335-5520.

Kristan Olfers
Username: Jk123olf

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:03 am:   

I write a newsletter for my neighborhood and have been asked the following questions...

Is there a way for residents to report their neighbors that clearly violate our water restrictions? What are the penalties associated with violating during Stage 3?

I tried to find this info on the City of Frisco website, but was unable to locate it. Maybe, I wasn't looking in the correct place. Thanks in advance for your help!

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 08:57 am:   

Kristan:

Please contact the Department of Public Works for all water restriction questions and concerns at 972-335-5520. The initial penalty for violations includes shutting off the sprinkler system with a red notification sign posted near the shut-off valve with a reconnect fee of $25. Repeated violations could include an administrative penalty or citation with a fine up to $2000 per day per occurrance.

Steve Hill
Username: Shill

Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   

What is the process for individuals accused of violating water restrictions? Since there's no way for a resident to prove or disprove they weren't running their sprinkler systems, it's simply he said/she said, isn't it?

Thankfully this hasn't happened to me, but I've read reports from others on Frisco Online of it happening ot them and it got me wondering about how defenseless we are against having our water shut off and/or fined with no way to fight an erroneous violation report.

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 02:06 pm:   

Steve:

First, we are not turning water off to the home. We are only turning off the sprinkler system found to be in violation. I have asked my Irrigation Control Officers to only shut off sprinkler systems if they can visually observe the violation and not something that may have happened before they arrived. Second, we are keeping records of all activities, tracking them in a computer, and where appropriate taking pictures of the violation with a day and time stamp. It is imperative that we reduce excessive usage before we may be forced into Stage 4, which is no outdoor watering at all. If you have other questions about enforcement, please contact my office at 972-335-5520.

Hackberry Neighbor
Username: Paul75034

Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 11:29 am:   

Can you please explain the water restrictions, exemptions, and enforcement regarding residential developments. Specifically, I understand that there is a 30 day exemption for new landscaping and that's understandable. Are developers exempt from this? The Pulte developments west of 423 landscaped their common areas along 423 and Stonebrook well over a month ago, yet they are watering, it seems, on any day, at any time they please. There are no signs indicating that they are using lake or gray water. Doesn't this at least defeat the purpose of conservation?

Thanks

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 07:28 am:   

Hackberry Neighbor:

The common area along FM 423 and Stonebrook is part of Frisco Lakes. Frisco Lakes uses six private water wells to water the golf course and the common areas. These water wells are not part of the Frisco water system and are not subject to our water restrictions. Thanks for your inquiry. If you have other questions or concerns, please contact my office at 972-335-5520.

Jim B
Username: Jtb

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 07:32 am:   

Can you provide Frisco's water usage (the town as a whole) for the month of June (compared to previous months/last year)so we can see if the restrictions have reduced consumption? I understand growth over the months/years make the comparison hard, but I am sure the city has a goal for monthly usage.

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 03:51 pm:   

Jim:

The projected usage in Frisco for June 2006, without Stage 3 restrictions was 1,091.3 million gallons (mg). The actual usage for June 2006 was 912.3 mg or a reduction of 179.0 mg or 16.4% less than expected. If you have any other questions, you may contact my office at 972-335-5520.

(Message edited by admin on July 05, 2006)

E. Kyle Steinhauser
Username: Ekyle

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 03:57 pm:   

Do the restrictions affect manual sprinklers (all outdoor watering) or just sprinkler systems?

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 07:30 am:   

Kyle:

The water restrictions apply to all types of sprinklers that can operate unattended. In Stage 3, you may use hand-held hoses up to one hour a day on any day for trees and shrubs, and soaker hoses or hand-held hoses for foundation moisture as necessary. If you have additional questions, please contact my office at 972-335-5520.

Kole Steubing
Username: Ksteubin

Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 09:07 pm:   

Just to clarify, do the restrictions also affect filling a kid's size pool (6"x4")?

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:14 am:   

Kole:

The Stage 3 water restrictions do not apply to your kid's pool. Thanks for your inquiry.

Derek J. Stutsman
Username: Arcadeguy

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 08:11 am:   

If we skip a day of outdoor watering, can we wash our cars that day for an hour (or less) using a hand-held hose with nozzle?

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 01:40 pm:   

Derek:

It would be impossible to enforce the restrictions with numerous exceptions all over the city. We will continue to enforce the water restrictions as published applying the same rules to everyone. If you ahve other concerns, Please contact my office at 972-335-5520. Thanks for your inquiry.

David M Pettengill
Username: Dpettengill

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 09:42 am:   

Our Development, Heritage Lakes, has several spring fed lakes. Can we explore the possibility of installing some water pumping stations on them to feed our common areas? Do we have to have special permits, etc.? Thanks.

Board Administrator

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 01:34 pm:   

Mr. Pettengill:

The City of Dallas owns the water rights to the water that flows from Frisco into Lake Lewisville. Permission is therefore required from the City of Dallas to use this water. A permit will also be required from the City of Frisco Building Inspection to pump this water and connect to an irrigation system.

Glenn Hughes
Senior Civil Engineer
ghughes@friscotexas.gov

Bfreeman001
Username: Bfreeman001

Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 03:27 pm:   

Two questions:

1. I read that the water restrictions are only until September 30th. Does that mean that I can water any day or time after that until next year's restrictions?

2. I had to have yard work done, and now I have nothing but dirt on one side of my home. I planted seeds and thought I would have the 30 day exemption according to the information I've red, but was told today that it only applies to sod and hydro moss. Can you tell me where this is documented and why?

Thanks,
Bobby

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 08:27 am:   

Bobby:

We will be under Stage 3 restrictions for the next several months unless we receive above average rainfall for several weeks. We would like to remove any reference to September 30 regarding restrictions. Please let us know where you read that information so we can remove it.
There is a 30 day exemption for new landscaping but we still prohibit outdoor watering from 5 to 8 am and from 10 am to 6 pm and prohibit excessive use of outdoor watering. If you have additional questions, please contact my office at 972-292-5800. Thanks.

Susanne L. Harriman-Rice
Username: Susanne

Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 09:03 am:   

We are building a home at Lone Star Ranch. I read an article in "D" Magazine last night indicating that concerns for water to Frisco in the future could be very serious. Does NTMWD have an alternate source,to adequately service the area, if Lake Lavon does indeed become completely inadequate?

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 03:10 pm:   

Susanne:

We are a member of the North Texas Municipal Water District. The District provides water to about 1.6 million people in Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Plano, and other cities. The District is mandated by law to provide water to the member cities. Currently the planning efforts of the District include adequate supplies into Lake Lavon through the year 2060 that encompasses population growth up to about 3.5 million people. There is no need to worry. We just need to conserve water and get through this drought. Thanks for your inquiry. If you have additional questions, please contact my office at 972-292-5800.

Jon Shaver
Username: Jshaver

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 09:34 am:   

Do large areas of flower plantings constitute new landscaping for purposes of watering?

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:41 am:   

Jon:

We ask that all new plantings be watered with hand-held hoses, soaker hoses, or drip systems only. More stringent water restrictions in the near future could jeopardize all new landscaping. Thanks for your question.

Ricky Wilkins
Username: Rickywilkins

Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 06:15 pm:   

You keep refering to "planning efforts of the District include adequate supplies into Lake Lavon through the year 2060 that encompasses population growth up to about 3.5 million people." What, exactly, are those efforts and when are they scheduled to be implemented/completed? Thank you.

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:52 am:   

Ricky:

The projects will be completed at different times. Please visit our website at friscotexas.gov and click on the Drought Information icon then click on Long Range Water Plan for the NTMWD for a graph that shows the projects and schedule. Thanks.

Rob Brodner
Username: Rbrodner

Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 09:34 am:   

When Florida began experiencing droughts in the late 1990's many water management districts began installing reclaimated water systems for landscape watering. Has the NTMWD looked into the possibility of implementing a reclaimated system?

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   

Rob:

The City of Frisco is currently using reclaimed water on a limited basis. Within the next few weeks our master plan for reuse water for the entire city will be complete. We have one project under construction now to increase our use of reclaimed water. Thanks for your suggestion.

James Koenig
Username: Livinintx

Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   

If the vast majority of wasted water occurs from landscaping purposes, wouldn't it make sense to slow down new home construction permits to allow the infrastructure and water consumption rates to balance out?

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 01:39 pm:   

James:

Thanks for your inquiry. If the proper amount of water is used to irrigate any landscaping, the reduction in waste will be significant. Excessive watering of existing landscaping is the issue and not the appropriate amount of water needed for new landscaping.

Greg Nichols
Username: Gregnichols

Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 03:08 pm:   

Since Lavon is above 482' and Chapman is above 426' shouldn't we be out of stage 3 accourding to the NTMWD criteria?
I would like to be able to wash my car!!

Board Administrator

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 02:17 pm:   

Greg:

The North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD) and the City of Frisco will remain at Stage 3 probably for the remainder of 2007 due to the capacity of Lake Lavon. Two projects under construction by the NTMWD should about double the capacity of the lake during the first part of 2008. The drought simply drained the lake to a level where we need to make sure our water conservation efforts get us through the summer of 2007. Thanks for your inquiry.

Gary R. Hartwell, P.E.
Director of Public Works
11300 Research Road
Frisco, Texas 75034
972-292-5800 (Office)
972-335-5524 (Fax)

Sam Pevehouse
Username: Spevehouse

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 03:48 pm:   

Our water heater is almost 6 months old & the manufacturer's reccomendation is to empty it at 6 months & refill it. Would this be a violation while in Stage 3 restrictions?

John
Username: Caloixc

Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 02:24 pm:   

Just to add to Greg's post, would washing your car while it is parked on the grass fall under the category of hand watering your lawn? Seems to be more conservative than going to the car wash and all of the water going to waste.

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 04:45 pm:   

Sam:

Please feel free to empty your hot water heater. This is not a violation. Thanks for your inquiry.

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 07:24 am:   

John:

Washing your car on the grass would be acceptable, but only on your designated watering(trash) day. During the winter months, grass is dormant and esstentially requires no water. Our car wash businesses are connected to the sanitary sewer system and that water is available for recycling through our reuse system. Thanks for your comments.

T Silva
Username: Tsilva

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 03:55 pm:   

Can we turn the single (1) zone on the sprinkler for the flower beds daily for a few minutes.

I assume that 10 minutes or less every day or every alternate day for 1 zone is much less than a running-hose for 1 hr to water all the plants\shrubs.

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:47 am:   

T Silva:

No. It would be difficult on our enforcement personnel to determine whether it was one zone only or the beginning of a complete cycle without remaining at that location. Please use your hand held hose or soaker hoses to provide water to your flower beds or foundations. Thanks for your inquiry.

Jonathan
Username: Jmacha

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 04:44 pm:   

I am assuming the car washing station that is set up behind the Stonebriar Country club would be a violation of the water restrictions, I see people washing cars at that location regularly. Or does the Country club have an exception

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 09:02 am:   

Jonathan:

I will check into this car washing station that you mentioned. This year, we are allowing residents to wash their vehicles with the use of a hand-held hose with a spray nozzle that prevents the waste of water while the hose is not in use. Thanks for your inquiry.

Steven Goldstein
Username: Steve_goldstein

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 05:35 pm:   

When is this new car washing policy effective?

kat graham
Username: Kat_graham

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 05:07 pm:   

I am getting ready to aerate my yard and need to mark the sprinkler heads. My usual water day is Monday, but I plan to aerate on a Saturday. Having all the little flags in my yard for almost a week will be too much of a temptation for all the kids around here to not pull out. If I am standing in my yard obviously marking the heads as each zone runs for one minute, will I end up with a red sign in my yard should the water patrol drive by?

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 08:57 am:   

Kat:

Sprinkler system repair and maintenance can occur on any day and at any time with close supervision. Thanks for your inquiry.

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 09:01 am:   

Steven:

Effective immediately, you may wash your car on any day and at anytime with a hand-held hose and a spray nozzle to prevent water waste when the hose in not in use. Thanks for the question.

Jimmy Young
Username: Otis

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 04:43 pm:   

Gary,

I'm glad we will be able to wash our cars this spring. I told my brother (who lives in Allen) about this and he wrote the City of Allen and received a response that they will not allow car washing at home. Why is Frisco able to allow this and not other communities? Thanks.

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 08:46 am:   

Jimmy:

Every city needs some flexibility to meet the needs of their residents. I support the way each city is working to conserve water in different ways. We measured the amount of water needed to wash a vehicle at below 50 gallons with a hand-held hose and a spray nozzle. This amount is somewhat insignificant if we can prevent the excessive use of automatic sprinkler systems and operate them in the manual mode. Thanks for your inquiry.

Jeff Pergola
Username: Jeff_pergola

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 02:26 pm:   

In response to your earlier post

"Effective immediately, you may wash your car on any day and at anytime with a hand-held hose and a spray nozzle to prevent water waste when the hose in not in use. Thanks for the question."

Would this "hand-held hose and spray nozzle" apply to smaller pressure washers for cleaning out the wheel wells and harder to scrub dirt of the rims?

Jeff Diedrich
Username: Deets

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 03:15 pm:   

With Plano in our water district, they have just lifted the once a week watering of yard to twice a week. Will Frisco be looking at this down the road?

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 04:28 pm:   

Jeff:

I believe the new Plano plan actually reduces the number of watering hours per week for each zone but on two designated days. The City of Frisco is not currently considering this type of schedule. Thanks for your inquiry.

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 03:50 pm:   

Jeff:

A small pressure washer will be permitted with a positive shut off when not in use. Thanks for your inquiry.

Glenn
Username: Glenn

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   

Has there been any study as to how much water is wasted by only allowing watering one day per week? It looks like a small river down my street on monday evenings because people are over-watering so much because this is their only day to water. I would think that people might water a little less each day if they were allowed to water twice a week. I know I would.

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 04:43 pm:   

Glenn:

We patrol our streets seven days a week, 24 hours a day looking for water restriction violations. Please contact us at 972-292-5800 any time with violation addresses and we will respond. From June 1, 2006 through December 31, 2006, we saved about 1.6 billion gallons of water with one day a week watering as compared to having no restrictions. Thanks for your inquiry.

Dean Stubbe
Username: D_l_stubbe

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 03:01 pm:   

If Lake Lavon and/or Lake Chapman-Cooper reach 100% of normal levels will the Stage III restrictions be eliminated?

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 09:58 am:   

Dean:

The lake levels are only one trigger of several that are part of the evaluation process for changing the stage level. Other factors considered include drought forecasts, water rights, and water delivery capacity. The water district anticipates Stage 3 for the remainder of the year. Thanks for your inquiry.

Dean Stubbe
Username: D_l_stubbe

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 03:07 pm:   

On March 27th a question was asked by Jeff Diedrich about Frisco looking at a plan similar to Plano's for Stage III. The answer by by Gary Hartwell is a classic non answer to the question.

Why is Frisco not considering the type of schedule similar to Plano's?

Mike Stroud
Username: Stroudtx

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   

two days per week makes a lot more sense. Why not consider this? seems not to make any sense.

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 03:04 pm:   

Dean:

The City of Frisco recognizes the importance of our water district and supports their on-going efforts for sustaining our long term water supply. We will make every effort to comply with their recommendations including the one day per week watering provisions. With clay soils and native landscaping, watering one day per week is more than sufficient to maintain landscaping in this area during drought conditions. Thanks for your inquiry.

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 02:57 pm:   

Mike:

As I have mentioned before, the City of Frisco wants to implement the recommnedations of the North Texas Municipal Water District. We believe that our water usage would significantly increase with additional days of watering. You may contact the District at 972-442-5405 for additional drought information. Thanks for your question.

Jeff K
Username: Jsk

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   

I am planning to do a core aeration and over seed my lawn with bermuda.

This requires the following.
Watering: Soil moisture around the seed must be maintained for about 1 to 3 weeks. The seedbed must be kept moist during germination.

Would this fall under the 30 day watering exemption?

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 04:19 pm:   

Jeff:

The 30 day exemption does include seeding with bermuda.

Craig
Username: Suvlover

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:27 am:   

It appears that the drought is over. According to the Lake Lavon homepage maintained by the Corps of Engineers http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lavon/ , the lake is now only 4.46 feet away from being full. The US Geological Survey Droughtwatch page http://water.usgs.gov/waterwatch/?m=dryw&w=map&r=us shows that Texas is no longer in a drought condition. Considering these facts, why does the North Texas Municipal Water District still impose Stage 3 water restrictions? When will they consider these facts and re-evaluate their position? Does it make financial sense to have city resources dedicated to 24x7 enforcement of watering restrictions when it appears they may no longer be needed?

DMWDALTX
Username: Dmwdaltx

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 06:26 pm:   

How is it that Plano can manage their water and allow 2X per week watering and Frisco cannot. This is another classic example of Frisco making it difficult to live here.

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 01:32 pm:   

Craig:

The Drought Contigency Plan of the North Texas Municipal Water District has nine factors that relate to the initiation and termination of Stage 3 conditions. The level in Lake Lavon, Lake Chapman, and Lake Texoma are only three of those factors. Currently, Lake Lavon is about 3.5 feet low, but is still at only 84% capacity, while Lake Chapman is ten feet low or only at 50% capacity.

Water Conservation will be always be a major factor for the permitting of future water supply projects. In other words, without measurable water conservation success, future state permits for additional water supplies will be delayed or denied. I expect that the enforcement of water conservation or drought restrictions will continue at some level indefinitely. Thanks for your comments.

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 04:15 pm:   

DMWDALTX:

The City of Frisco implemented Stage 3 water restrictions on June 1, 2006 upon the recommendations of the North Texas Municpal Water District. We want to make every effort to comply with all existing and future water conservation measures recommended by our water district. Thanks for your concerns.

Daniel
Username: Daniel

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   

Instead of enforcing watering a certain # of times, wouldn't it be easier for Frisco to have a graduated cost for water that would make it cost prohibitive to water more than they are currently allowing?

It would be easy to determine the amount of water the average family uses indoors + add a watering allowance for 1 inch per week on the typical Frisco lot. Thus, the people who continue to break the water regulations and water to the extent that causes floods down the street on the allowed days could still do that, but would recognize the true cost to all the others and pay for that.

Those who want to water reasonable, but work on a different schedule could also do that.

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   

Daniel:

Thanks for your suggestion. The City of Frisco currently has an increasing block rate schedule for water billing. In other words, after the base amount for the first 2,000 gallons, the water rate is $2.28 per thousand gallons from 2,000 to 15,000 gallons and $2.98 per thousand gallons for usage above 15,000 gallons. I have been unable to find a good indoor average and the lots are similar but not typical. Indoor usage can range from 3,000 gallons up to over 10,000 gallons. Outdoor usage can vary depending on soil type, plant material, amount of shade, grass type, and ground slope. Our current ordinances provide our council with water surcharge options for billing if deemed necessary.

Mark
Username: Mark

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 09:34 am:   

According to the "MODEL DROUGHT CONTINGENCY PLAN FOR NORTH TEXAS MUNICIPAL WATER DISTRICT MEMBER CITIES" the chief executive of a city may terminate a drought stage if the conditions for implementing the stage have been eliminated. The executive may also not terminate a drought stage even if the conditions do not warrant the continuation, but the reasons for not terminating the stage must be documented. See excerpt from the plan adopted by the city below.

Since the Lake Lavon level is above even the requirement of Stage 1 rationing, has the mayor made a decision not to terminate Stage 3, and if so, where in the public record is the rationale for this decision documented?

Termination of a Drought Stage
The City Manager, General Manager, Mayor, Chief Executive, or official designee may
order the termination of a drought response stage or water emergency when the conditions for termination are met or at their discretion. The following actions will be taken when adrought stage is terminated:
* The public will be notified through local media and the supplier’s web site (if
available) as described in Section 3.2.
* Wholesale customers (if any) and the NTMWD will be notified by telephone with a
follow-up letter, e-mail, or fax.
* If any mandatory provisions of the drought contingency plan that have been
activated are terminated, member cities and customers will notify the Executive
Director of the TCEQwithin 5 business days.

The City Manager, General Manager, Mayor, Chief Executive, or official designee may
decide not to order the termination of a drought response stage or water emergency even
though the conditions for termination of the stage are met. Factors which could influence
such a decision include, but are not limited to, the time of the year, weather conditions, or
the anticipation of potential changed conditions that warrant the continuation of the drought stage. The reason for this decision should be documented.

Jean Silvertooth
Username: Agfang

Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   

North Texas Municipal Water District is not recommending that we only water 1x per week..that's not mandated in guidelines..that's set up on a per city basis. Why is Frisco mandating this?

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 04:42 pm:   

Mark:

The North Texas Municipal Water District Drought Contingency Plan also lists nine triggers that govern the initiation and termination of Stage 3. The district has determined that the triggers relating to the permitted supply still require Stage 3 restrictions. You may contact the district directly at 972-442-5405 and speak with Denise Hickey about any water supply issues. Thanks for your inquiry.

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 04:56 pm:   

Jean:

The Drought Contingency Plan of the North Texas Municipal Water District implemented Stage 3 restrictions on June 1, 2006. These restrictions do include outdoor watering only one day per week. As a member city of the district we need to make every effort to comply with the recommended water restrictions of the district. Thanks for your input.

richard
Username: Movetofrisco

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:29 am:   

I have a question,
How is the last week or so, we have had so much
rain, yet the lake levels at Lavon do not change?
Does it not rain on that side of town?

Thanks.

Jean Silvertooth

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:58 am:   

Then why are Plano, Richardson, Rowlett, and Garland all watering 2x per week..they still say they're at stage 3 and this should be prohibited if it's not on a per city basis. If Frisco is still at stage 3..they why allow washing of cars by hose..it says that's prohibited under NTMWD guidelines for 3. Looks like each City is making up it's own rules.

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:00 am:   

Jean:

The North Texas Municipal Water District adopted a model Water Conservation Plan and a Drought Contingency Plan for the entire district. Each member city used the model plans to develop their own specific plan with the district plans as a guide. The City of Frisco plans are very similar to the district plans and includes permitting outdoor watering one day per week in Stage 3.

The City of Frisco wants to make every effort to comply with all recommendations from the district. Each city within the district has unique characteristics. Frisco has a very high percentage of automatic sprinkler systems. The excessive use of these sprinklers is our greatest opportunity for water conservation. Since washing a vehicle with a hand-held hose and spray nozzle uses only about 30 gallons, we believe this privilege at this time does not prevent us from achieving our water conservation goals. Thanks for your comments.

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:19 am:   

Richard:

The level in Lake Lavon is affected by water that drains into the lake, evaporation from the lake, and water used from the lake. The drainage basin for Lake Lavon does not include Frisco. So rainfall from Frisco does not affect the level in Lake Lavon. The drainage basin for Lake Lavon essentially begins with the far eastern part of Collin County.

Also, since the surface area of the lake increases as the lake fills, it takes more runoff to increase the level of the lake. Thanks for your questions.

Jean Silvertooth

Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   

Where does the Chapman water go when it's released? Also, why does Chapman continue to release water when the lake is so low. If it's into Lavon why release into it when Lavon is at normal levels. Thank you for your answers and patience..

Doug Wilson
Username: Lrrp1969

Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 09:00 am:   

Gary
I appreciate your response, but you did not answer my question. I understand that the City of Frisco implemented Stage 3 water restrictions on June 1, 2006 upon the recommendations of the North Texas Municipal Water District; however my question was based on the amount of rain fall we have had, and the lake reports state that Lake Lavon is less than 2 feet below normal. So I guess my question remains, does the city have any plans on lifting the stage 3 restrictions, or are we dealing with an allocation issue, and not a drought issue?

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 02:17 pm:   

Jean:

The release of Lake Chapman is discharged into the Sulphur River which is located in the Upper South Sulphur River Watershed. The 5 cfs release is required by the Corps of Engineers as a downstream requirement. The Sulphur River actually flows east away from Lake Lavon. Thanks for your question.

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 02:26 pm:   

Doug:

With rain-soaked soils and Lake Lavon almost at the normal pool elevation, the significant factors now relate to the importance of water conservation with summer approaching and the need to meet the state permit to complete the two water suppy projects that will significantly increase the capacity of Lake Lavon. These projects should be in service by late this year or early 2008. By definition, the drought does not officially end until Lake Lavon, Lake Chapman, and Lake Texoma reach full capacity. Thanks for your concerns.

Steve H
Username: Shh5455

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 02:47 pm:   

Gary
Can you give us a straight, easy to understand answer on why we are still in Stage 3 water restrictions and what it would take to for those restrictions to be lifted or diminished?

Thanks

Mike C
Username: Ttu99grad

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 03:17 pm:   

Gary,

You say that the storm water of Frisco does not drain into Lake Lavon. What Lake or drainage basin does our stormwater wind up in?

Thanks,

Mohammad Mobashirin
Username: Mmoba1

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 03:37 pm:   

Mr Gary, Your answer dose not make sense. You are saying "By definition, the drought does not officially end until Lake Lavon, Lake Chapman, and Lake Texoma reach full capacity." However, at the same time you are saying "The North Texas Municipal Water District only gets water from Lake Lovon". So, why is it a factor if Lake Chapman, and Lake Texoma is full or not since we are not getting any water from those lakes. Also, Would you please let us know water level in all three lakes as for today (05/11/07)(Lake Lavon, Lake Chapman, and Lake Texoma).

Thanks

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 04:05 pm:   

Mohammad:

An annual permitted amount of water can be pumped from Lake Texoma and Lake Chapman into Lake Lavon. The water treatment facilities are located at Lake Lavon for distribution to us and other cities. As of Friday afternoon, the level in Lake Lavon is 491.02, being full at 492.00; the level in Lake Chapman is 430.27, being full at 440.00; and the level in Lake Texoma is 618.84, being full at 616.84. The current level in Lake Texoma is above the normal full level. Thanks for your inquiry.

Scott C.
Username: Scott_c

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 03:47 pm:   

Gary,

I see in several post that you reference several "factors" and "Definitions" in your answers. I would like to know where these factors and definitions are so that I can review them. Are they available online or at City Hall?

Thank you,

Jean Silvertooth

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 07:52 pm:   

Gary,

In your response to Doug, you stated as part of the reason "and the need to meet the state permit to complete the two water suppy projects". What does the state permit entail that would be a factor in why we are still at stage 3? Are you trying to tell us something??

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 08:22 am:   

Scott:

This information including the nine factors or triggers associated with the intiation and termination of Stage 3 is found in the North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD) Water Conservation and Drought Contingency Plans located on their website at www.ntmwd.com. I hope this information is helpful.

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 09:43 am:   

Jean:

Many political groups in the state do not support new water supply projects without conservation. Therefore, it is easier for the state to support permits for water supply projects when the water supplier can show a successful water conservation program and that conservation alone cannot meet the future water demands without the new supplies. Thanks for your question.

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 10:19 am:   

Mike:

The western side of Frisco drains into Lake Lewisville. The central part of Frisco drains into Lake Ray Hubbard. The far eastern side of Frisco does drain into Lake Lavon. Thanks for your question.

Scott C.

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   

Gary,

Thanks for the link, I'll definately be reading up on their recommendations...

Another question concerning your response to Jean. What political groups are we talking about? Are these political groups an actual branch of our state government? Are they a politial activist group? I ask this because if this political group is a branch of our state government then I would like to contact my State Rep. with some of my concerns. If it is an activist group then I would be VERY concerned that our city would allow pressure from an outside activist group to take precedence over a cities policies and procedures.

Can you please elaborate on these political groups. (Who are they?) It would certainly allow us, (the citizens) to research and understand the current situation better.

Thanks for the line of communication Gary, I am certainly glad that we have a forum like this to ask these questions and get feedback from the city.

Brian C
Username: Brianc

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 05:58 pm:   

So if 2/3 of our storm water does not go to Lavon, does all of our waste (sewage system) go to Lavon?

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 07:59 am:   

Scott:

These groups are not part of our state government. I believe they are activist type environmental groups and coalitions that oppose various water supply projects. For specific information, please contact Denise Hickey at the North Texas Municipal Water District at 972-442-5405.

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 08:29 am:   

Brian:

Most of our wastewater east of Preston Road flows into the Wilson Creek wastewater treatment plant operated by the NTMWD and is located on Lake Lavon. The wastewater on the west side of Preston Road flows to the Stewart Creek West wastewater treatment plant also owned and operated by the NTMWD but discharges into Lake Lewisville.

The City of Frisco has the authority to use all of the treated wastewater from the Stewart Creek West plant as reuse water for irrigation purposes on golf courses, parks, and open space to conserve our drinking water supply. Thanks for your question.

Scott C.

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 01:22 pm:   

Gary,

Thanks for your insightful information and I do plan on contacting Denise Hickey for more specific information on the "groups".

It is very disturbing that we, the City of Frisco, have found ourselves in a situation where by our cities water usage is being manipulated by environmental activist groups... This is a very disturbing piece of information indeed.

Does the city not deem this information important enough to publicize to the citizens? Or at the other end of the spectrum, maybe too inflammatory? Either way, I would not have known if I had not asked the questions and I am quiet shocked by what I am finding out as I feel most citizens would be as well.

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 08:51 am:   

Scott:

The state permitting process for every water supply project, including new reservoirs, incorporates a public hearing phase. Several public hearings are conducted at various locations near the project site. Any individual or group can voice their support or opposition to the project.

The North Texas Municipal Water District was created in 1951 by the Legislature of the State of Texas to provide a continuous supply of water indefinitely to all customers of the district. This mandate, since their inception, requires the district to secure new supplies which includes the very difficult permitting process. It can take up to 30-40 years to actually build a new water supply lake. The district continues to represent our interests during the entire permitting process, which can take several years before construction begins.

I encourage any resident to contact the district directly about any water supply issue at 972-442-5405. I suggested that you contact the district so that they could thoroughly answer all of your questions with specific information.

With the water issues we have faced over the past two years, I have seen the overall awareness our water supply significantly increase with all of our residents. That awareness helps us all understand that we should never take our drinking water supply for granted and the important need to never just waste this precious resource. Also. I moved to Frisco in 1991 and must obey the same water restictions as everyone else. Thanks again for your comments.

(Message edited by admin on May 22, 2007)

Ricky Wilkins
Username: Rickywilkins

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 09:30 pm:   

In a story published on Sunday, The Dallas Morning-News is reporting: " ... at a meeting Friday with water district officials, representatives of Allen, Frisco, McKinney, Mesquite and Wylie agreed unofficially that their residents should be allowed to water lawns two days a week instead of the standard one-day limit." Is this true? If it is, when can we expect this to take effect, and what will the new regulations state? Thanks for your help.

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 01:28 pm:   

Ricky:

We are currently reviewing our water restriction options. We will probably discuss this issue at the first council meeting in June. Thanks for your questions.

Jim Engelskirchen
Username: Jimengel

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 04:58 pm:   

I have been watching the lake levels at Lavon and Chapman via the link provided on the City of Frisco website. Up until January of 2007, the levels of the two lakes tracked very closely. Since that time, Lavon has risen over 10 feet while Chapman has risen only one foot. Is there an explanation for Chapman suddenly filling so slowly? How significant is the shortage of water at Champman with Lavon above the "full" mark?

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   

Jim:

In order for a lake to fill, rainfall must fall within the drainage basin of that lake. Since Lake Chapman is about 100 miles east of Lake Lavon, it takes rainfall near Lake Chapman to fill that lake, which has not occurred like the rainfall measured near Lake Lavon.

The maximum amount of water that can be pumped from Chapman to Lavon essentially equals the amount of water that evaporates daily from Lavon during the summer. This is about 80 million gallons per day. Once the flow from Chapman has been exhausted, the level at Lavon will fall rapidly. Water from Chapman should be available through September of this year. Thanks for your questions.

PK
Username: Phil

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 07:34 am:   

Gary,

I heard on the radio yesterday that Frisco would begin allowing watering two times a week soon.

Is this true?

Also a friend of my wife's said that she had spoken to someone from Frisco and was told it would be o.k. to fill up a kiddie pool and have a sprinkler attached to the hose in the yard for the kids to play in at any time. Is any of that true??

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 01:29 pm:   

PK:

Beginning on July 1, 2007 we will begin with two watering days per week. Even residential addresses may water on Tuesday and/or Saturday, odd residential addresses may water on Thursday and/or Sunday, and all non-residential customers may water on Monday and/or Friday. The time of day restrictions of 5 to 8 am and 10 am to 6 pm are still in effect.

You may use your kiddie pool with adult supervision. Thanks.

Ken
Username: Ken

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 04:37 pm:   

Is the spray park in Shepards Glen park going to be turned on July 1 also?

Board Administrator

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:42 am:   

Ken,

Regarding the opening of the spray parks that we have at Shepherds Glen and J.R. Newman neighborhood parks:

When the City Council approved modifications of the Stage 3 Water restrictions at their meeting Tuesday evening 6/5, one of the items that they directed be done prior to July 1st, was the opening of the spray parks that we have.

As a result, we have placed the operational signage for both parks since Tuesday and have gone through both systems to ramp up their operation.

As of yesterday afternoon, both parks were operational and will continue to be so until September, when air temperatures will begin to decrease.

Should you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Rick Wieland
Director of Parks and Recreation
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

DNI
Username: Dni

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 02:56 pm:   

Where do I get more info on purchasing an ET controller to retrofit my existing Rainbird irrigation system?

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:23 am:   

DNI

You may contact Mike Jones with Rainbird at 214-649-6309 or check www.rainbird.com for more information. Thanks for your inquiry.

Sam Pevehouse
Username: Spevehouse

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:16 am:   

This is great news. Will there be an official announcement vial mailers or signs?

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   

Sam:

We will provide information regarding the modified water restrictions and our ET program with signs, water bill inserts, channel 16, and the city website. Thanks.

David Caves
Username: Dcaves

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 03:10 pm:   

It is good that the restrictions may loosen for watering yards, but what about washing my car? I use no more that about three flushes. I checked with the website for the north texas water district and in January 2006 they stated that we would remain in stage 2 water restriction until lavon was back to 485'. We are still in stage 3 with water levels at lavon over 294' and Texhoma at 109%. Yes Jim chapman is 7' low but the odds of all lakes ever bing above normal at the same time is probably not that great. When can I wash my car?

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:49 am:   

David:

At the June 5 council meeting, the city council modified the water restrictions to two days per week beginning on July 1, 2007. Residences with even addresses may water on Tuesday and/or Saturday, odd residential addresses may water on Thursday and/or Sunday, and all non-residential customers may water on Monday and/or Friday. The council is permitting car washing with hand-held hoses with spray nozzles immediately. The city spray parks are also now in service. Thanks for the inquiry.

Bobby Neal
Username: Mr_rob

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 09:03 pm:   

Wow, great to have rain and lakes recovering to their 'full' levels.

Now that effective July 1,we have two days of watering, are we still subject to the time limitations...which make sense on a weekday.

For our Saturday/Sunday watering, are there any time restrictions?

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 01:26 pm:   

Bobby:

To avoid confusion and continue to reduce water loss due to evaporation, all watering days will prohibit outdoor watering from 5 to 8 am and from 10 am to 6 pm. Thanks for your inquiry.

richard
Username: Movetofrisco

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 02:23 pm:   

So, while we are under stage 3, what is the city
of Frisco have for flood contigency, since Lake
Lewisville is approaching flood levels if it keeps
raining.

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 03:08 pm:   

Richard:

Lake Lewisville is owned and operated by the U.S. Corps of Engineers. The Corps has complete authority for the release of water from Lake Lewisville. Any release from or high water levels in Lake Lewisville will not affect the City of Frisco.

T Silva

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 09:50 am:   

Is Frisco still required to be under water restriction with the amount of recent rainfalls. Are the lake levels at or close to normal to suspend this restriction?

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 07:09 am:   

T Silva:

On July 1, 2007 the City Council modified our water restrictions to two days per week watering based on your address. An even residential address waters on Tuesday and/or Saturday while odd residential addresses waters on Thursday and/or Sunday. However on July 3, the water district removed all drought restrictions. In the next few days, the City of Frisco will move to the restrictions in our Water Conservation Plan. Please check our website in the next few days for details. The lake levels are normal to above normal. Thanks.

T Silva

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:41 am:   

This is good news. Will there be some sort of monitoring to ensure no wastage \ over watering by residents.

What I mean is will the streets still be patrolled to ensure residents are not abusing this and over watering to an extent where the land is saturated and water overflowing to the streets, and warnings to be issued to order to conserve the resource to avoid this situation in the future.

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 08:26 am:   

T Silva:

The Water Conservation Plan has enforcement procedures that we will implement. The process includes notices, sprinkler system disconnections, administrative fees, and citations. We will continue to look for time of day and excessive runoff violations. Thanks.

Don Weintz
Username: Dswdallas

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 06:28 pm:   

Are we still on twice a week? Watering hour restrictions continue?
Thanks

Board Administrator

Post Number: 427
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 08:40 am:   

As Gary indicates in a previous post the City is now operating under a Water Conservation Plan. The highlights of that plan are listed on the Citys' Home Page. Here is a link:

http://www.friscotexas.gov/index.aspx

The detailed plan can be viewed here:

http://www.friscotexas.gov/uploadedFiles/Departments/public_works/Waterwise/Wate r%20Conservation%20Plan%20-%202.pdf

Regards,
Curt Balogh
cbalogh@friscotexas.gov

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: