Broadband access Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Broadband access « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Sam Bassett
Username: Sjlb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 03:06 pm:   

What choices do I have for broadband access in Frisco(Hillcrest Highlands area)

Are there any companies bringing a fiber alternative in the next 6 months?

What were the results of the wireless broadband pilot run two years ago, is Friso still considering a city wide wireless broadband option?

Jason Gray, Assistant City Manager
Username: Jason

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 02:27 pm:   

Mr. Bassett-
Thanks for your question. The City of Frisco does not regulate Broadband Service Providers, so the information that I have is based on my experience, but that being said, in that area of the City, you probably have a couple of choices for broadband access:

1. Comcast Cable Internet - I am almost certain that you have the ability to get this service. Depending on whether or not you are a Comcast Cable TV subscriber, it will be about $45 (if put together with Cable TV) or $55 alone. I can't speak to any promotions that they may have available.

2. SBC/AT&T DSL - I have less certainty about your ability to get this, but if you can, it should be less expensive than Cable Internet.

3. Wireless: there is at least one provider that I am aware of that could likely service your area, being Redmoon Broadband. I am not familiar with their pricing structure, but it may be an option for you to review.

Regarding a Fiber Alternative - 6 months is probably a bit aggressive. I don't have dates, but I can say that at least two companies are talking about rolling out a fiber alternative in Frisco.

The Wireless Broadband pilot was a successful pilot. We are currently in talks with several companies regarding city-wide wireless access. That being said, any service would likely be subscription-based.

Thanks, and if you have any questions, please contact me at jgray@frsicotexas.gov.

Jason Gray
Assistant City Manager

Bryan Fritchie
Username: Hogcall

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 11:20 am:   

Can you possibly get more information about a fiber alternative? I called Verizon about their FiOS option, and they said they will not be servicing Frisco because SWB services the area. The SWB websites are NOT helpful at all when it comes to tracking down information, to see if they are even developing a fiber alternative. (surely they are, but ya never know)

Is there someone we can call to voice our support for bringing fiber to Frisco? The way the city is growing, I am really surprised that it isn't here already.

Jason Gray, Assistant City Manager
Username: Jason

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 03:33 pm:   

Bryan-

In my talks with SBC/AT&T, fiber to the neighborhood (or in some cases, fiber to the home) is in the near future, but they have been unwilling or unable to provide specific timeframes. I would be happy to serve as a conduit for you or other Frisco citizens regarding the options. If you will email me at jgray@friscotexas.gov with your address, I will send it on to SBC?AT&T to see if I can get additional information from our contacts there.

Thanks-

Jason Gray
Assistant City Manager

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: