Fire in back yard Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Fire in back yard « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Randall Warren
Username: Swtiques

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 09:23 am:   

What is the code for fires in back yards? Someone told me the fire could not be closer than 6' to a building/structure. If correct, does this code apply mainly to open pit fires, chimineas, etc.? What are the codes/guidelines for bar-b-q grills?

Curt Balogh, Spec. Asst. to the City Mgr
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 09:38 am:   

During the past several years the City of Frisco has been asked to develop guidelines for the most recent trend of outdoor or patio type burning. These fires are mostly small wood fueled and propane fired. They are solely developed for recreation. These appliances (pits and chiminea’s), are often not constructed of the high standards required for long time exposure to fire and heat. Clay fired pots can crack very abruptly and light metal pits can rust and fail when exposed to fire and weather.

While we recognize the desire to use these appliances we also need to keep in mind that they may fail. The 25 foot set back from a structure simply provides the safe distance needed if a failure of the appliance did occur. The following requirements are set forth in the City of Frisco’s Fire Code.

307.3.2 Recreational fires. Recreational fires shall not be conducted within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material. Barbeque pits, chiminea’s, and other forms of open flame shall adhere to this set back requirement.

RECREATIONAL FIRE. An outdoor fire burning materials other than rubbish where the fuel being burned is contained in an outdoor fireplace, barbeque grill or barbeque pit and has a total fuel area of three (3) feet or less in diameter and two (2) feet or less in height for pleasure, religious ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes.

If you have further questions regarding outdoor burning please feel free to contact me at any time.

Don Fernandez
Fire Marshal
Frisco Fire Department

Chris Wood
Username: Sailagain

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 01:17 pm:   

I have seen a lot of permanent fireplaces built in backyards, with a stack that is maybe 8 or 10 ft tall, that are within 25 ft of the building. Are these exempt from the requirement?

Randall Warren
Username: Swtiques

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 10:55 am:   

Mr Fernandez,

Does this mean that a "recreational fire" is a working bar-b-q grill burning propane or natural gas? (I think most grills are taller than 2')

If this is so, then this means that ALL bar-b-q grills must be at least 25' from your house.

Don Fernandez, Fire Marshal
Username: Don_fernandez

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 04:18 pm:   

Fireplaces that have a chimney's are actually permitted even closer. The chimney must, however, adhere to different rules. The chimney must measure 10'feet directly perpendicular to the roof line then two additional feet above that.
Grills do not follow the same guidelines as the recreational type fire mentioned. Grills are however prohibited within 10'feet of an apartment patio balcony or structure.
If you have further questions I would be happy to discuss these with you. Don Fernandez Fire Marshal 927 335 5525

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message