Left Turn Signals & Red Light Timing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Left Turn Signals & Red Light Timing « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Matt Hoffman
Username: Mghoffman1

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 08:19 pm:   

1) Are the "left turn on arrow" signals all the way down Preston entirely necessary? I have dreaded moving into my new apartment on Wade Blvd since the first week I moved in because of the Wade / Preston intersection. When you get stuck at one anytime outside of rush-hour, it does get very frustrating to have no oncoming traffic and to have to sit and wait. I have been in towns where the left turn signals were only used during peak driving times. Is this an option?

2) It also seems that the timing on the lights has a certain sync to them. If you are one of the poor souls that has to get onto Preston from a minor side street, you are almost guaranteed to hit all the remaining lights are Preston red. Are there any engineers planning to check-up on the lights?

Curt Balogh, Spec. Asst. to the City Mgr
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 02:22 pm:   

Matt,

The left turn on arrow operation is necessary at large intersections with high volumes of traffic. The turn on arrow operation is desirable to motorists in that it provides them with an exclusive movement. The intersection of Preston Road and Wade Boulevard is provided left turn on arrow only signals. This type of operation may result in longer delays to turn left when compared to an intersection that allows a left turn on arrow and on the through green. At the time the intersection was designed, the left turn treatment was consistent with Texas DOT policy for the travel speed and number of lanes. We have studied the left turn treatment at this intersection, with the operation at Preston Road and Stonebrook Parkway as a comparison. Issues of overall corridor operation with the current left turn treatment are also being considered.

The traffic signals along Preston Road are coordinated, providing for southbound flow in the morning rush and northbound flow in the evening. To maintain the traffic flow the green lights along Preston Road need to activate in a succession that is at the expected travel speed of the traffic. We generally maintain this progression of traffic for the vehicles traveling along Preston Road, as they represent the highest traffic flow. We give consideration to high traffic volumes that may enter from a cross street by getting them into the progression by adjustment of signal operation. If you are on a minor cross street turning onto Preston, you may expect to approach red lights for several traffic signals until you enter into the progression. It is our desire and standard engineering practice to provide a green light progression that considers all movements but emphasizes on the progression of the greatest amount of traffic. This practice provides the highest reduction in vehicle emission, gas consumption and overall vehicle delays.

If you should have any questions or can provide any other comments I can be reached at (972) 335-585 x132

Faustyn E. Knobloch. P.E., PTOE
Senior Traffic Engineer

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: