Golf carts on sidewalks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Golf carts on sidewalks « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Laura Uldrich
Username: Mluldrich

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 01:28 pm:   

I have searched the boards for this answer and can't seem to come with one. Are golf carts allowed on sidewalks? Are they allowed on sidewalks along streets that are over 35mph?

Todd Renshaw, Chief of Police
Username: Todd

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 07:22 am:   

No, one cannot legally operate a golf cart on the sidewalk.

Sec. 90-256. - Golf carts permitted and restricted.

A person, other than public safety personnel, may operate a golf cart on a public street if:

(a)
The maximum speed limit on the public street is 35 miles per hour or less;
(b)
The person has a valid drivers license;
(c)
The person maintains current financial responsibility for the golf cart, as required of other passenger vehicles in the V.T.C.A., Texas Transportation Code 601.051;
(d)
The person complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances;
(e)
The golf cart has the following equipment:
(1)
Headlamps;
(2)
Tail lamps;
(3)
Reflectors;
(4)
Parking brake;
(5)
Mirrors; and
(6)
A slow-moving vehicle emblem; and
(f)
While the golf cart is in motion, the driver and every passenger in a golf cart is seated in a seat designed to hold passengers. No person may stand or ride in the lap of the driver and/or other passenger of a golf cart while it is moving.

CMC
Username: My_2_cents_worth

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 05:04 pm:   

There is a Church off Main Street just west of Hillcrest that has attendee parking away from their facility on streets in the neighborhood behind the Church. Besides this causing a ton of traffic congestion on these small streets at various times every Sunday and whenever other times the Church holds special events, the Church uses several golf carts to shuttle attendees to/from the Church.

These gold carts not only drive all over the FISD Early Childhood School parking lots, grass and sidewalks but they drive in the city streets, alleys and sidewalks. These golf carts do not appear to meet the requirements outlined in Sec. 90-256. They do not have headlamps, tail lamps, reflectors, mirrors or a slow moving vehicle emblem. Unknown if they hold current financial responsibility for the golf carts.

Will Frisco PD check into this?

Thank you

Ben Brezina, Assistant to the City Manag
Username: Ben_brezina

Post Number: 429
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 08:56 am:   

We will communicate the requirements for golf carts with the Church and make them aware of the concerns and the need to be in compliance with the law.

CMc

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 01:18 pm:   

Can you please confirm that the church above was informed of the requirements?

On my walk today I observed at least 3 golf carts from that church driving through the city streets, alleys, sidewalks and school parking lot with disregard for the law. I watched them run stop signs (and with people onboard) at the intersection of Red Cedar and Oakleaf and it appears they still do not conform to Section 90-256 quoted above.

And if the church has been informed but is still not complying what will Frisco PD do to make sure it stops or they are in complete compliance with the law?

Thank you

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 12:01 pm:   

We have reached out to the church again and gotten their commitment that they comply with the ordinance that is in place. If enforcement action is necessary we will take whatever action is needed to gain compliance.

D. Birnbaum
Username: Dbirn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 12:22 am:   

Residents of Village Lakes routinely drive their golf carts on the sidewalk of Teel Pkwy to go shopping at the Kroger complex & surrounding stores at Main St. As a runner who frequents these sidewalks, I find myself hopping out of the way from the carts approximately once a week. Not only is it unsafe for me, but I'm hesitant to ever have my young daughters walk in that direction due to the golf cart traffic.

A few weeks ago, I suggested to one of the cart drivers that I didn't think it was legal for them to be on the sidewalk and the driver responded that "this is not a sidewalk. Because it is wider than X inches, it is considered a multi-purpose path and golf carts are allowed."

Is this true? If a sidewalk in Frisco is wider than X inches, is it no longer a sidewalk and thus golf cart friendly?

The specific stretch of sidewalk I'm referring to in this case is the east side of Teel Pkwy between High Shoals Dr & Main St.

Thanks for reading.

Todd Renshaw, Director of Public Safety

Post Number: 509
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 07:01 am:   

Golf carts may be operated on the street, under the conditions listed above. There is no provision for them to be used on sidewalks. I have passed your information on to the PD Traffic Unit.

Post Number: 510
Posted on Monday, July 29, 2013 - 07:03 am:   

Golf carts may be operated on the street, under the conditions listed above. There is no provision for them to be used on sidewalks. I have passed your information on to the PD Traffic Unit.

Carey Jamison
Username: Cebchickie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 04:44 pm:   

Thank you for that information. Is there an ordinance PROHIBITING their use on sidewalks then (and bicycles too for that matter)?

Thanks!!!

Post Number: 513
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2013 - 07:01 am:   

Can drive a bicycle. Cannot drive a golf cart.

Texas Transportation Code 545.422. CROSSING SIDEWALK OR HIKE AND BIKE TRAIL. (a)
A person may not drive a motor vehicle on a sidewalk, sidewalk area,
or hike and bike trail except on a permanent or authorized temporary
driveway.
(b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the operation of a
motor vehicle on a hike and bike trail in connection with
maintenance of the trail.
(c) In this section, "hike and bike trail" means a trail
designed for the exclusive use of pedestrians, bicyclists, or both.

CMc

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 11:45 am:   

You may have received a "commitment" from the church to comply with city ordinances and traffic laws buy here it is November and they continue to operate their golf carts on Frisco ISD property making a mess of the grassy areas when it rains. They are tearing up grassy areas that our tax dollars help pay to maintain. They also continue to operate these golf carts on alleys, sidewalks and Frisco ISD parking lots.

(Message edited by admin on November 26, 2013)

Post Number: 561
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 11:41 am:   

We have followed up with representative from the church and verified their golf carts are in compliance with the City Ordinance that allows them to operate on streets/alleys with speed limits of 35 mph or less. In addition we confirmed with FISD who owns the property adjacent to the church that Preston Trail has permission to drive the golf carts on/and across their property. If you would like to contact me directly regarding the golf cart ordinance, or our follow up with the church please feel free.

Deputy Chief David Shilson #3127
Frisco Police Department
7200 Stonebrook Parkway
Frisco, Texas 75034
Office 972-292-6130 / Fax 972-292-6071
dshilson@friscotexas.gov

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: