Patio Cover Requirements Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Patio Cover Requirements « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Randall Wroblewski
Username: Rjwroblewski

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 09:54 am:   

I am part of our HOA architect control committee and one of our residents has requested to build a patio cover (attached to house) that will be supported with 2 6x6" ceder columns mounted in 18" concrete footing spaced 18' apart (beam is an engineered Glulam beam) wtih other end attached to primary structure. This seems weak to me but have not been able to find specific city guidelines on what is residential construction standards for this type of object.

Ben Brezina, Assistant to the City Manag
Username: Ben_brezina

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 09:48 am:   

The best practices of patio cover construction would dictate the use of span charts from adopted residential codes for all solid saw lumber like southern pine and useful tools from the American Wood Council for cedar and other exotic species. Engineered wood spans for roofs, headers and beams would be as specified by the manufacturer of the product. If you are referring to a load bearing beams with a clear span of 18’, it may be on the upper limits of an engineered wood product unless very large or ‘doubled up’.

It can be difficult to adequately answer technical questions in forum format. Please feel free to contact me direct to discuss proper framing techniques of patio cover construction.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: