Dying / Dead Trees and Bushes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Dying / Dead Trees and Bushes « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Dick Crosby
Username: Dickc

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 05:05 pm:   

In the Preston Highlands North development there are a number of bushes and trees that are dying or are dead. In my particular case, I had a healthy Hawthorn bush completely die and another is on its last legs. Hawthorn bushes adjacent to the dead one are thriving. All of these bushes receive irrigation; thus, I do not attribute their weak or dying condition to the heat of the summer.

Additionally, in the neighborhood there are oak trees that have lost 80% or their leaves all on 3 sides with the 4th still bearing leaves; although, the leaves are very yellow looking.

What appeared to be health Bradford Pear trees lost the majority of their leaves in a very short time, two on one property and one across the street.

If one looks at other bushes within the development there are random bushes that have also died recently.

If one looks at the Phillips Field park, there are a number of younger trees that have died and I expect that it other neighborhoods one will find random bushes and/or trees in distress.

Thus, the questions:

Has anyone else in the City of Frisco noticed and/or reported these same conditions, including the Parks Department? If so is there an explanation?

Has the water supply, as it arrives in the City of Frisco, been tested within the past three (3) months? If so, did they test for heavy metals and/or any other substance that may be a result of the Gulf oil spill? If the report is available how do I obtain it?

Who does the City of Frisco utilize to analyze their water source?

Thank you

Ben Brezina, Assistant to the City Manag
Username: Ben_brezina

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 07:18 am:   

At the root of the question is a concern about water quality and water testing in Frisco. The gulf oil spill is a surprising question since our water comes mostly from Lake Lavon and its watershed is so far north I wonder how anyone could make such and connection between plants dying here and the gulf oil spill. I have not heard any reports of random plants dying. Specific samples of dying or diseased plant materials should be sent to Texas AgriLife Extension Service. If he would like me to give my opinion about a specific tree or shrub, I donít mind going to the site and doing that.

Darell S. Bagley, ASLA
SR. LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: