Lebanon Street Signs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Lebanon Street Signs « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Scott A
Username: Xtole

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 01:33 pm:   

Lebanon, between Ohio and Hillcrest. Is there a reason there are over 50 street signs on this 1 mile street? I know there are two schools there and some of the posted signs are required, but there are many "Do no park here" along the entire length of the school. Two or three of these signs should be fine, is there a reason for the over signage on this street? It's really an eyesore.

Joel Fitts, Senior Traffic Engineer
Username: Joel_fitts

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 05:15 pm:   

Scott,

I count fewer than 50 signs, but I agree that there are more signs than usual on this street due to the schools. The biggest concentration of signs is along the school property, where there are 28 signs (10 in one direction and 18 in the other direction). The temporary red summer school placards on the school zone signs are probably standing out more than usual and contributing to the feeling of “over signage.” These red placards will be removed by the end of July and then the signs hopefully will not appear as much of an eyesore to you.

Traffic signs are intended to get the attention of drivers and ensure that they follow the law or are sufficiently warned of a potential hazard. Enforcement and safety are the paramount concerns in these situations, rather than whether the signs are aesthetically pleasing or not.

As you say, most of the signs you see along this stretch of Lebanon are required by law to delineate and enforce the school zone and the location where students cross the road. The only thing that could be considered "over signage" here would be the No Parking signs, which were installed to address a problem on the roadway.

There was a time when parents would park on Lebanon Road to drop off their children, which was a violation of City ordinances and was a safety hazard. The City installed the No Parking signs to enforce the ordinance and to ensure the safety of the roadway. There are only six No Parking signs along the street.

The No Parking signs may appear to be close together to a car that is moving along the roadway, but they appear much farther apart to a car that is trying to park on the road. (The No Parking signs in front of the parking lot are spaced about 120 feet apart, which is equivalent to 6 car lengths. The No Parking signs in the right-turn lane are spaced about 65 feet apart, which is equivalent to 3 car lengths). The signs in the right-turn lane are closer together because parents were more determined to park there. This is the one area where I agree that the signs could now be spaced farther apart. Therefore, I will look into removing one of these No Parking signs. By increasing the sign spacing in this one crowded area, I believe it will improve your visual perception of all the signs as a whole.

Joel Fitts
Senior Traffic Engineer

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: