35 MPH Zone in Front of Griffin Middl... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » 35 MPH Zone in Front of Griffin Middle on Eldorado « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Andrew Nick
Username: Userx

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 03:28 pm:   

I have always been confused by what exactly the 35 MPH zone is in front of Griffin Middle School on Eldorado Pkwy. It seems that almost everyone ignores the signs and doesn't slow down.

What I find confusing is that the signage indicates a crosswalk, but there is nothing painted on the street and I have never seen anyone cross the street in that zone.

Logic would say that it's a school zone being right by the school, but there are no times listed or cell phone usage signs posted.

Inquiring minds want to know. If this has been posted before I apologize.

I think this is an awesome forum, and I appreciate the city employees taking the time to answer our questions directly.

Joel Fitts, Senior Traffic Engineer
Username: Joel_fitts

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 06:04 pm:   

That stretch of Eldorado Parkway is a state roadway (FM 2934) and therefore is operated, maintained, and controlled by TxDOT. TxDOT has strict guidelines regarding the installation of a school zone, and because no children are required to cross Eldorado Parkway to attend school, they will not install a school zone. (All of the land north of Eldorado is zoned by FISD to attend Stafford Middle School, and there is no crosswalk across Eldorado Parkway in this area.)

Rather than install a school zone, TxDOT agreed to install a flashing school warning sign with an advisory speed of 35 mph attached to it in advance of the school in each direction. These were installed in 2004 and have remained the same since then. They only appear different now because the road has been widened recently.

The slower advisory speed is in effect whenever the sign is flashing. And, as with all warning signs with yellow advisory speeds on them, the slower advisory speed applies to you until you pass the object shown in the warning sign (in this case, the school).

Joel Fitts
Senior Traffic Engineer

Username: 123

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 12:41 pm:   

So, just to be clear. Is it illegal to go faster than 35 mph when the light is flashing, or is it just a recommended speed, like a recommended warning speed on a curve? It irritates me when people blast through there at 55+ mph, while everyone else is doing 35 mph.

Adam Henderson, Sergeant
Username: Adam

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 01:30 pm:   

Technically, it is not illegal to drive over the posted 35 mph advisory speed limit in this school zone; however, police officers can still cite motorists for unsafe driving if their speed or driving behavior is not reasonable or prudent.

Adam J. Henderson, Sergeant
Frisco Police Department

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message