Divided Roadways Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Divided Roadways « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

matt c.
Username: Mc2000

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 09:51 am:   

I think we have a problem in this city with all the lovely divided roadways. These divided roadways give drivers the “go-ahead” to enter the median when traffic is clear on one side and sit there and wait for traffic to clear on the other before they merge with traffic. The problem this creates is that it blocks oncoming traffic that have the right-of-way from completing a left turn. I have seen two, sometimes, three cars enter a median waiting for a clear entrance to the roadway while I am attempting to make a left turn. This creates a hazardous situation for all parties involved.

I believe the correct action is to wait until it is clear on both sides of the roadway before entering into traffic. I understand there are certain locations where it is impossible to see the traffic coming from the right across the median. I am more specifically referring to locations where traffic is clearly visible in both directions and drivers still poke on out there and wait, meanwhile blocking traffic and being inconsiderate and discourteous to other drivers.

Is this addressed in the city code?

(Message edited by todd on October 13, 2009)

Todd Renshaw, Chief of Police
Username: Todd

Post Number: 452
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 02:03 pm:   

You ask an interesting question. While the Texas Transportation Code isn't directly on point for divided roadways, one could argue that stopping within an interesection provision would cover this. I called the DPS (Highway Patrol) supervisor for Collin County and discussed it with him.
He advised he gets asked this occasionally and his view is that if the movement can be done safely, it shouldn't be a problem.
I agree with him when he says a common sense approach has to be taken. If a motorist were to wait until all four or six lanes were clear before proceeding, that motorist could be sitting there for quite a while.

I understand the inconvenience when you are trying to make a left turn and urge patience as everyone tries to get to where they are going.

You asked for citation and accident stats that capture this activity and I inadvertantly edited that out. My hunch is that we haven't written any citations for that as it is a fairly common practice. I also don't believe we would be able to retrieve accident data where that was a contributing factor as it would simply be labeled as a fail to yield right of way factor, which many other types exist that would carry that same contributing factor.

michele ellis
Username: Chelellis

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 02:35 pm:   

I am still not sure if one can be ticketed for entering the median, waiting and then merging with traffic. If I understand your post, if cone with common sense there is not an issue but according to another question and answer from link - it is illegal..

(Message edited by admin on October 13, 2009)

Todd Renshaw, Chief of Police
Username: Todd

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 02:40 pm:   

It is possible one could be ticketed for it. Especially if it is accomplished in an unsafe manner. It would be the officer's discretion.
In heavy traffic conditions, we always recommend turning right and then using a controlled intersection to make turning movements, when possible.

(Message edited by todd on October 13, 2009)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: