Gates on Fourth Army Road Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Gates on Fourth Army Road « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

David Warhoftig
Username: Warthogdn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 02:28 pm:   

I was running on Fourth Army Road today, heading south towards Lebanon Road. There were 3 City of Frisco trucks parked near the electrical substation, working on installing gates which will go across Fourth Army Rd. Are these going to be permanent? Is this going to be used only in case of emergencies? Why would the City spend the money to develop and pave that road all the way up to the new fields at Phillips Park, only to close the road with gates?

Gary Hartwell, Director of Public Works
Username: Gary

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 02:45 pm:   

David:

Stewart Creek near Fourth Army Memorial Road is subject to flooding during heavy ranifall. We frequently close that road especially at night with barricades due to the high water. To prevent drivers from driving around our barricades, we have installed the gates that would be used until flood waters recede. Thanks for your comments. If you have other concerns, please contact my office at 972-292-5800.

William Osborn
Username: Billosborn13

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 03:11 pm:   

What is the history about the name of Fourth Army Memorial Road

Perry Harts, Moderator
Board Administrator
Username: Perry

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:13 pm:   

With special thanks to former Mayor Bob Warren, as well as long time resident and former FISD Board of Trustee member Charlie Pearson, here is some of the information that they could pass on regarding the road's history.

Evidently Fourth Army Memorial Road was named decades ago, probably just prior to World War II by a Collin County Sherriff given the responsibility of naming County roads at the time.

While not directly associated with Frisco, the the Fourth Army [the 'A-Plus' Army"] was activated in 1932 and was very active throughout World War II in the Pacific Theater.

With its history preserved, the Fourth Army was actually consolidated with the Fifth Army in 1971 to form the Fifth Army in Fort Sam Houston Texas.

I hope that this has helped to provide some insight to your question.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks again for your question and interest.

Rick Wieland
Director of Parks and Recreation

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: