Residential building code Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Residential building code « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Appliance codeSteve Covington, Chi04-06-11  08:36 am
  Start New Thread        

Nicholas Anselmo
Username: Njanselmo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 10:12 am:   

I live in Frisco and my home was built in 2007, we moved in the first week of January 2008. Last summer we had extremely high electric bills ( > $600) and I don't want to face the same thing this year. I had a man come out from Efficient Attic Systems to give me a quote for radiant barrier and insulation in my attic. He told me that the building code changed in 2007 to require homes be built with some form of radiant barrier as well as at least 14 1/2 inches of insulation. My home meets neither of these requirements and only has about 12in of insulation.

Where can I find what the actual codes are/were at the time my home was built? If he is correct, and my home was not up to code, will the builder be responsible for getting it up to the original code or will I be out of pocket?

Steve Covington, Chief Building Off
Username: Steve

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 05:05 pm:   

All homes in Frisco are required to comply with the EPA Energy Star Program. Radiant barriers are excellent energy conservation methods, but are not required by Energy Star or by the International Residential Code. Attic insulation is required to provide a thermal resistance rating of R-30. The depth of the insulation required to provide R-30 variews depending on the material used, usually 14-16 inches. Insulation does settle over time.
Homes are inspected for compliance by local inspectors and by third party inspectors qualified to certify a home to the Energy Star Program. Contact Building Inspections at 972 292-5330. An inspector can visit your home and, if determined that it was not in compliance at the final inspection, we will assist you with contacting the builder.

HOMEOWNERFRISCO
Username: Homeownerfrisco

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 05:19 pm:   

I have a home with three and a half bathrooms? How many Hot water heaters am I supposed to have according to code?

Perry Harts, Moderator
Board Administrator
Username: Perry

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:51 am:   

Plumbing Code for residential construction requires that each house have a water-heating system sufficient to supply hot water to plumbing fixtures and appliances. Code does not provided the method for determining what would be required to sufficiently supply hot water.

Manufacturers of water heaters provide specifications of what works best for their individual products. These are typically based on factors like number of baths in the home and number of family members (adding extra value to teenagers as they use more hot water). From these values, water heater manufacturers provide information to show first hour rating or gallon per hour rating. This is not necessarily the size of a tank, but its capability to recovery during peak demand through efficiency.

Most all manufacturers provide guides published on websites that can show the performance of their water heaters and their recommended sizing for your home.

Thank you,

Phillip Climer
Asst. Building Official

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: