How do I get a street light on my str... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » How do I get a street light on my street? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Mark Gomez
Username: Marktgomez

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 03:42 pm:   

I live on Pecan Chase Lane in the Pearson Farms subdivision and there is only 1 street light along my side and the other side of the street for almost the entire block.

What is the process or who should I talk to to try to get a street light installed in our part of the street?

Thank you.

Joel Fitts, Senior Traffic Engineer
Username: Joel_fitts

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:51 am:   

Mark,

Street lights are originally installed by developers of neighborhoods according to City standards that appear in our ordinances. In general, street lights should be installed along a street so that they are not farther than 600 feet apart nor closer than 150 feet apart. In addition, street lights are installed on the property line between lots (rather than in front of a house).

If, after a neighborhood has been built, it is discovered that the street lights are spaced more than 600 feet apart, the City will install a street light to bring them into compliance. If they do meet City standards but there is still room to install another street light within the acceptable spacing range, the HOA can pay to have a street light installed. In such a case, the location of the street light would need to be approved by the City and the home owners adjacent to the proposed location would have to give their consent.

There are six street lights on Pecan Chase Lane, and they are all less than 400 feet apart. Therefore, these street lights meet City standards. However, there is room to install an additional street light here or there within the acceptable spacing range. If your HOA agrees to pay for a street light, please contact me with the proposed location and the consent of the adjacent home owners.

Joel Fitts
Senior Traffic Engineer
972-292-5456
jfitts@friscotexas.gov

Chris Bruno
Username: Got2btru

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 01:08 pm:   

We've had homeowners complain about inadequate lighting in the Meadows of Preston community (between Rolater & Hutson). While I haven't measured, I would imagine they are less than 600 feet apart (which seems AWFULLY far apart in my opinion). I'd like to be able to go back to the homeowners with something, so what is the cost?

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 05:48 pm:   

Chris,

The cost of a street light varies based on what it takes to get electricity to it. Sometimes an electrical line is already running nearby, or perhaps it needs to be bored under the roadway, or perhaps it has to be trenched through a yard from the alley. In the latter case, a utility easement will need to be obtained from the appropriate homeowner. The exact cost cannot be determined until the electric company comes out and gives an estimate for a specific location. The simplest installations cost about $7,000.

If you are interested, you can schedule an appointment with the electric company and they will come out and give you an estimate. You can do that before or after getting adjacent homeowner consent and City approval for the location.

Joel Fitts
Senior Traffic Engineer

Brian C
Username: Brianc

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 02:20 pm:   

Would the HOA negotiate/pay the electric company directly or does the city need to be involved in any way other than location approval?

600 feet is a large distance (2 football fields). Has there been thoughts to reduce that requirement?

Thanks.

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 03:57 pm:   

Brian,

Yes, the HOA would pay the electric company directly. The city would only be involved to approve the location of the light and verify adjacent homeowner consent.

There are currently no plans to change the maximum distance of 600 feet. It is a fairly common maximum spacing among cities nationally and locally (including Plano and McKinney, for example).

Joel Fitts
Senior Traffic Engineer

Scott A
Username: Xtole

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 04:54 pm:   

Who do we contact about a damaged street light? There is a light on my street that has its glass bulb covering on the verge of falling 20-25 feet to the ground, perhaps injuring someone. Another windstorm should do it.

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 05:05 pm:   

Scott,

Street lights on neighborhood streets are maintained by the electric companies, but the City can communicate the problem to them. Contact Public Works at 972-292-5800.

Joel Fitts
Senior Traffic Engineer

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: