Dallas Morning News "Briefings" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Dallas Morning News "Briefings" « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Cody McFarland
Username: Cody

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 08:13 am:   

I'm not sure which department can assist me with unwanted solicitation, but someone needs to contact the Dallas Morning News and let them know that they are wasting trees and cluttering up neighborhoods with their "Briefings". I've already contacted the Dallas Morning News and expressed my concern over receiving "junk ads" that I didn't request. (To my dismay, but not a surprise, there is one in my grass this morning). Not only do I not want them, but I can only assume that my neighbors don't want them as well. It is my weekend routine to pick them up out of the streets, off the sidewalks, out of the yards of vacant homes. This is a waste of trees and our landfills. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Todd Renshaw, Chief of Police
Username: Todd

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 08:47 am:   

Please see this thread:
http://qanda.ci.frisco.tx.us/discus/messages/1/27816.html?1222464815
As an update, the attorneys for the DMN and our City Attorney are discussing the applicability of our ordinance and the Constitutional protections of the press. In the meantime, feel free to contact Mr. David Morel at 214-977-7785 or on email at dmorel@dallasnews.com to express your opinion.

Jeff Pergola
Username: Jeff_pergola

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 08:47 am:   

I agree, I had also contact DMN about these "briefings" in the past without no other recourse other then to let the delivery person know I do not want them delivered to my address. Unfortunately, I am not able to catch the delivery person to tell them. Is there any other recourse that we have to prevent these unwanted items? I do have a "No Solicitors" sign, and feel this falls within that category however, the deliverer does not come to the door to view it as they are in their car tossing them out the window.

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 01:21 pm:   

In addition to contacting Mr. Morel, citizens can go the website http://www.dallasnews.com/briefing/
and request the "Briefings" not be delivered to their address.
I agree that the circulation is in violation of the city ordinance, but we will have to see what the attorneys discuss before proceeding.

Jesse Hardin
Username: Jahardin

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:39 am:   

Chief Renshaw,

Any news on the progress of this request? Our neighborhood, Dominion at Panther Creek, has now been littered with these Briefings papers. Many of them sit in front yards of homes that are either for sale or foreclosed. It's really an eye sore.

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 02:54 pm:   

We are still working on this from an enforcement angle as well as through the city attorney for both Frisco and Plano. Apparently their tactics have angered citizens all over the metroplex.

Claude West
Username: Claude

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 07:50 am:   

Just an FYI, Mr. Morel has an autoreply on his email that states "I am no longer with The Dallas Morning News. If you are contacing me about a Briefing matter please send your request to: briefing@dallasnews.com"

I have done everything short of driving to their office and still no luck.

Susan Puthoff
Username: Sputhoff

Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 10:37 am:   

"Briefings" are still landing in the streets, flower beds, and medians of Queen's Gate, often left there for days. This results in an untidy neighborhood.

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:03 am:   

The person replacing David Morel at DMN is Lisa McDonald. She is the Alternate Products Director. Her email is lmcdonald@dallasnews.com and the office number is 214-977-7753.

Brent
Username: Brentx

Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 09:40 am:   

If these things are not permitted by the city why are we even having to call dallas news? Someone please tell me how this makes sense.

(Message edited by todd on June 30, 2009)

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 10:49 am:   

That is the only solution we have if you want them to quit throwing it at your house.

Though I don't personally agree, the DMN believes the "Briefing" is a newspaper and is constitutionally protected. Whether that has merit would most likely entail protracted litigation.

I called and they no longer deliver at my house.

Susan Puthoff
Username: Sputhoff

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2015 - 03:18 pm:   

Briefings are littering Queen's Gate again. I regularly pick them up out of the street. Called DMN Customer Service, 214-745-8383, and was told I had to give him an exact address where the unwanted papers were left; rep would not accept that it is a neighborhood-wide problem. I picked up at least 6 wet papers out of the street last week.

Ben Brezina, Assistant to the City Manag
Username: Ben_brezina

Post Number: 764
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 04:05 pm:   

We have no ordinance to stop them from putting the papers out; residents would be responsible to remove from his or her yard.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: