Hike & Bike Trails Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Hike & Bike Trails « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

David Smith
Username: Collincountyadvoc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   

What's the status of the six-cities trail plan? Is that still in progress? I see the city has several hike & bike trails; does the city plan on any mountain biking parks in Frisco's future?

Rick Wieland, Dir. of Parks and Rec
Username: Rick

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 06:36 pm:   

Thanks for your note. In regard to your questions, the majority of the Six-Cities trail is in the adjacent cities to the south. I know the various cities have been completing trail sections as they have funds available and the opportunity presents itself.

Frisco has completed approximately one mile of our portion of the trail. We also spearheaded an application partnering with Plano and Allen to submit for a grant to connect this trail section all the way through to Allen.

Unfortunately, we received notification at that time from the State that the funds for that grant program were rescinded.

The remaining portion of the 6 cities trail that is within Frisco is currently owned privately and the owners are farming the land. Once this land starts to develop, we will be able to complete our portions of the trail.

We had a Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association (DORBA) mountain biking trail in BF Phillips Park for a number of years. DORBA chose not to renew the agreement to keep this trail due to lack of use.

As far as future mountain biking areas, unfortunately, we do not have areas that are large enough and diverse enough to provide riders with a suitable experience. We continue to look for projects which to incorporate this type of use and feel that in the future there will be a mountain biking trail within our parks system.

I hope that this has helped to address your questions. If you should have any additional questions, please feel free to let me know.

Dudley Raymond
Parks Planning and Business Development Manager

Username: Lreed

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 07:58 pm:   

I am curious where we can find the map of the exact "bike route" in Frisco. Based on signage, it seems that it must include all streets in Frisco. How many signs were put up (both "Bike Route" and "Share the Road"), what was the cost of this project, and finally what are the City projects that have been put on hold or delayed due to budgetary concerns?

Perry Harts, Moderator
Board Administrator
Username: Perry

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 04:16 pm:   

Mrs. Reed,

You can go to the City GIS map and select the Planning and Zoning button then choose the Hike and Bike Trail Master Plan. That will show all the routes that will ultimately be developed within the City. This map shows the spine of the system, It is anticipated that smaller trails connecting through the subdivision will be constructed by the developer. http://maps.friscotexas.gov/

The trails on the map are shown as Proposed On-Street Bike Route. This information shows on the hike and bike master plan because it helps to understand the connectivity of all our trails within Frisco. As far as to where the rout is, there is not a specific route per se, it is a network of routes that one can follow to get to the desired destination. Due to some of the streets on the Master Plan not being developed completely those areas on the Master Plan were not signed recently. But it is anticipated as those streets develop then the appropriate signage would be included.

The cost of the project around $30,000 for the materials and City staff installed them.

As far as what impact the sign project had on other projects is difficult to ascertain. This project was an expense that was budgeted our Parks 5 year Capital Improvement Plan. So as this project was scheduled for this year and to date we have not had to put any Parks projects on hold this year due to lack of funding, I would say that no projects have been impacted negatively by completing this project.

I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to contact me if you need more information.

Dudley Raymond
Parks Planning and Business Development Manager

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message