Questions Concerning Proposed Dog Park Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Questions Concerning Proposed Dog Park « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Laura Basurto
Username: Lpb2007

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 11:29 am:   

Hi, I have some questions regarding the proposed Dog Park at Phillips Park.

1) When did the City decide to investigate building a dog park in Frisco? Is this a new idea, or, has the City been planning one for a while?
2) Do other surrounding cities have dog parks?
3) Are there many or frequent dog fights in dog parks?
4) What is the Cityís liability if thereís a dog fight?
5) Do dog parks smell bad from all of the pet feces? Does anyone pick up after the dogs?
6) Are dog parks loud from all of the barking dogs?
7) How would the City propose keeping the grass in good condition so that it will not get trampled and look bad after frequent use?

Thank you for your time.

(Message edited by perry on September 09, 2008)

Perry Harts, Senior IT Strategic Planner
Username: Perry

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 05:29 pm:   

Laura,

Thanks for your questions regarding the proposed Dog Park facility that is being proposed as a part of the B.F. Phillips Community Park master plan. Prior to answering your questions, I would like to point out that having a dog park facility on the master plan for Phillips is something that has not been decided at this point. We will be conducting a public meeting on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 at Pioneer Heritage Middle School, located at 1649 High Shoals Drive to seek additional input about the placement of this facility on the master plan. The meeting will begin at 6:30 pm and will take place in the cafeteria.

After this September 23rd meeting, the Parks and Recreation Board and the Frisco Community Development Corporation will conduct a joint meeting within the next couple of months to consider whether to recommend approval in placing this type of facility on the master plan. This recommendation will then be forwarded to the City Council for their consideration. Possible funding for such a facility has also not been decided at this time and would be further considered should it be approved as a part of the parkís master plan.

In regard to your questions, I would offer the following:

1. Discussion of a possible dog park in Frisco has been a topic of discussion by staff and the Parks and Recreation Board for several years now. The discussion by both the Parks and Recreation Board and the Frisco Community Development Corporation as to a possible location for such a facility has primarily occurred within the past year;
2. There are several cities in the Dallas Fort Worth area that currently have or are in the process of having a dog park facility. Among these are Plano, McKinney (planned), Fort Worth, Euless, Denton, Garland (planned) , Lewisville (planned), North Richland Hills, Arlington (planned), Addison, Grand Prairie, and Allen (planned);
3. I would think that the frequency of dog fights at a dog park are going to vary from location to location, depending on design and operation of those facilities. I am not aware of any firm statistics on this;
4. I donít know if I am sure what your question really is here. The city carries a comprehensive insurance policy on all of our facilities, including something such as a dog park. We would do whatever possible to limit our liability risk with this or any other type of facility found in our parks and recreation system;
5. I would imagine that each person has a different definition as to whether this or any other park element has an odor that is offensive. If someone has grown up with dogs throughout their lives, there definition might be different from a non-pet owner. In most dog parks that I have seen or researched, there is a requirement of owners being responsible to pick up after their pets to keep this to a minimum. In my visits to a dog park, I have not noticed an offensive odor when visiting;
6. As mentioned above, I would imagine that the loudness of such a facility is going to be defined differently for each person. In my visits to these facilities, I have not noticed a high degree of noise for them, but that will likely differ with the amount of dogs present, etc.
7. In terms of maintenance and upkeep, we have talked of the need to have more than one large area for dogs as a part of this potential facility. In other words, there might be three to four containment areas that might be rotated to help allow the turf area to rest. This would be something that would be discussed further during a design stage for the facility.

Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Rick Wieland
Director of Parks and Recreation
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: