Frisco Dog Park Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Frisco Dog Park « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
BF PhillipsPerry Harts, Senior 08-21-08  12:36 pm
  Start New Thread        

Laura Basurto
Username: Lpb2007

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 01:38 pm:   

Hi. Would you please provide some clarification on recent online discussions concerning the proposed dog park that have been posted on Frisco On-Line?
1. What is the proposed cost for building the dog park?
2. Where is the funding for the dog park going to come from? Is there money in the current budget for the dog park?
3. If this park is built, will an area previously in the plan be omitted now, either due to a revision in budget or space? (i.e. the splash park area or playground or any other athletic field) Additionally, will incorporation of the dog park delay further phases of BF Phillips park due to budget constraints?
4. As far as the dog park goes, are there any restrictions as far as who can or cannot use the park? I am specifically referring to the age limit on children in the park. I have heard that children under 8 are not allowed and that other-aged children (9 - 12) must be accompanied by an adult. Please clarify.
5. Regarding the road that is slated to be built to give access to the dog park...was completion of that road in the master plan of BF Phillips park, or will the inclusion of the dog park require this road to be completed?
6. Where is the suggested area for the dog park in BF Phillips park? Southeast vs. northeast end? Please clarify.
7. What size (# acres) will the proposed dog park be?
8. What is the purpose of the public meeting on August 12th?
9. Can you please provide me with the link to the Parks & Recreation Citizen Survey Technical Report, dated July 24, 2003. I can only find the Executive Summary on your website.

Thank you for your time.

Rick Wieland, Dir. of Parks and Rec
Username: Rick

Post Number: 416
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 08:51 am:   

Thank you for your questions about the public meeting that will be held this next week regarding the potential master plan revision to B.F. Phillips Community Park and the possibility of locating a Dog Park facility within the park. I hope that I can help to shed some light on some of the questions that you have posed.

First and foremost, the park master plan that is being held on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 is intended to seek public input on the possible revision of the B.F. Phillips Community Park. As you might know, the Parks and Recreation Board as well as the Frisco Community Development Corporation asked staff to seek input from residents and the community regarding the possible location of a dog park facility at this park.

While neither of the two boards have identified funding for this facility, there has been a high degree of interest shared with both boards over the past couple of years and seeking this input will be helpful for both boards in making an informed decision to ultimately recommend to the City Council about this master plan revision. I know that both boards as well as staff look forward to the meeting and hearing residents input at that time.

In regard to your questions, I would offer the following:

1. The specific cost for the design and ultimate construction of the dog park has not been defined. Prior to the City Council ultimately considering this possible revision, the Parks and Recreation Board as well as the Community Development Corporation would be meeting and discussing this in more detail. This would include examining cost for the design and construction of such a facility. Ultimately, both boards would likely have a joint meeting in which to discuss this in more detail and provide a recommendation to the City Council for their final consideration. Back to the question though, until we know some of the parameters of the project such as final size, number of parking spaces, site work required, etc., we wonít be in a position to know what the total cost will be.

2. Funding for a proposed dog park has not yet been determined. Potential funding for this project could come from the Park Development Fund or potentially through funding from the Community Development Corporation, although neither Board has discussed or identified funding availability or prioritization at this time.

3. While we donít know the exact location or the size of the facility yet, I donít believe that any of the active elements identified for the park would be affected or eliminated as a part of this possible revision. This would include those park elements you have mentioned (spray ground, playground or athletic field). In terms of delaying any further phases of the park, I do not believe this to be the case. For instance, the Community Development Corporation has recommended that Phase II of the B.F. Phillips Community Park be developed this next year. If approved during the budget process by the City Council, further development of the northern section of the park would be constructed.

4. In regard to potential rules and regulations of a dog park, those have not yet been identified. Should the parkís master plan be revised and then if and when funding is established for such a facility, staff would be working with the two boards as well as City Council on all of the details for operation of the facility. I foresee that this would be a very deliberate process and take several months in which to complete, once started.

5. I believe that the road you are thinking of is Fourth Army Memorial Road. Currently the road is not paved from Lebanon to the Parkís entrance that is located just to the south of Timber Ridge Road. Whether the development of a dog park facility would constitute the further development of Fourth Army Memorial Road would have to be determined by the Cityís Traffic Engineering Division.

6. The area of the park that has been discussed by the Parks and Recreation Board, the Community Development Corporation and staff have involved the southeast section of the park north of Stewart Creek. As I had mentioned before, whether or not Fourth Army Memorial Road would be required to be developed from the development of a dog park would have to be determined by the Cityís Traffic Engineering Division. To my knowledge, development of a dog park facility has not been discussed in the northern section of this park.

7. I would anticipate that the total amount of acreage would likely be in the 5-7 acre range, but that is dependent on future decisions regarding final design of this possible project. This would also include parking for the facility.

8. As I mentioned earlier in this post, the purpose of this meeting on August 12, 2008 is to obtain public input on the possible revision to the B.F. Phillips Community Park master plan and the possible location of a dog park to be located at this site. We welcome all residents to provide input at this meeting. The meeting will take place at Bledsoe Elementary School which is located at 1900 Timber Ridge Drive beginning at 6:30 pm.

9. Our complete comprehensive master plan is available on CD or located at our offices as well as the Frisco Public Library. The technical report for the citizens survey can be reviewed at our offices at 6726 Walnut Street. It is a large technical report that goes into detail on survey methodology, statistical information, etc.

I hope that this has helped to clarify some of the questions that are being posed. We will try to provide the best information that we can during the meeting next week and look forward to providing the Parks and Recreation Board as well as the Community Development Corporation with additional information.

Please let me know if you should have any additional questions.

Thanks again,

Rick Wieland
Director of Parks and Recreation

Brian Ray
Username: Xray1967

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 12:45 pm:   

Any update on the progress?

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 08:12 am:   

Mr. Ray,

Thanks for your inquiry about the Dog Park project. This project is currently under construction and should be completed late this summer, weather permitting.

Opening of the Dog Park would likely take place in the fall, once construction has concluded and grass fully established.

As we near the completion of the project, we will have more information on the dedication and opening of the facility.

Feel free to contact us if you should have any additional questions.

Thanks again,

Rick Wieland

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 04:47 pm:   

I just wanted to take an opportunity to provide an update on the construction of the dog park. Since construction began in late Spring, progress by the contractor has moved forward according to schedule.

The park contractor has completed the construction of the two small pavilions that are located at the small and large pens at the facility. Additionally, the installation of the automated irrigation system has taken place and sod is currently being installed at the park.

Over the next month, this grass will fully establish itself and final components of the park will be completed.

Opening of the park is tentatively set for early October and further information regarding the opening will decided within the next two weeks.

I would encourage those who are interested in the opening of the park to the Parks and Recreation website: for further information or to call our offices at 972-292-6500.

Rick Wieland

jon kwiatkowski
Username: Skis4

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2011 - 01:13 pm:   

Are there automatic irrigation systems installed at Crescent park in the open area (Southwest corner)where the children practice soccer and baseball? There are large cracks due to the drought that makes this area hazardous. I do not think the contractor did a good job leveling or sodding this area during the construction phase.

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message