Light at Panther Creek and Eldorado Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Light at Panther Creek and Eldorado « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Scott Stedman
Username: Texastek76

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2014 - 11:16 am:   

I couldn't find this in another thread. I apologize if I overlooked something.

The new lane striping for the light at Panther Creek and Eldorado seems odd. The center lane is left turn only while the right lane is for drivers going straight and those turning right. The big delay at this intersection has been waiting due to drivers wanting to go straight and not being far enough over to allow traffic to freely turn right. This new striping does not help that. Why not make the right lane a right turn only lane so traffic can move?

Ben Brezina, Assistant to the City Manag
Username: Ben_brezina

Post Number: 758
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2014 - 02:56 pm:   

Thank you for your question. There are 2 reasons why the right lane is for drivers going straight and turning right:

The alignment of the lanes. If motorists are permitted to travel straight from the left lane, they would travel into on-coming traffic. All motorists traveling through would be required to essentially change lanes within the intersection to avoid on-coming traffic. This would create an unexpected, confusing situation for motorists.

Shared left/through lane. It can be difficult for a driver to determine which movement an oncoming motorist will make when he can turn left or proceed through from a lane. This can lead to close calls and minor accidents when a motorist is beginning a left turn maneuver and is then surprised when the oncoming driver does not also turn left as assumed but instead travels through the intersection.

Add Your Message Here
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message