Fence between properties Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Replacing Fence » Fence between properties « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Paul Grant
Username: E059555

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:39 pm:   

My neighbor has a wooden board-on-board fence erected in a retaining wall between our properties - my neighbor owns and is responsible for the retaining wall (built within his property line). The side of fence that faces by yard exposes the metal posts, the cross bars and all the hardware used to fasten the wood pickets to the fence structure (the ugly side of the fence). I would like to re-face the ugly side of the fence with a board on board cedar picket fence using the existing metal poles in the retaining wall.

What permissions, permits, etc. do I have to follow to get that fence facing built. also, what options do I have if my neighbor does not give me permission to apply cedar pickets to the ugly side of the fence using the posts cemented into his retaining wall.

Thank You

Also, as my property is 4 feet below my neighbors property (Separated by the retaining wall), I assume I cannot erect a new fence in the ground in front of the retaining wall which would have to be a height greater that 8 feet to hide his fence.

Ben Brezina, Assistant to the City Manag
Username: Ben_brezina

Post Number: 601
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:59 pm:   

Although this would be utilizing existing post, the fence would be considered new and requires a permit. The matter of ownership and property rights of fences is largely a private civil matter to be coordinated between two property owners. We would ask a permit requestor communicate and coordinate with the adjacent property owner to avoid conflict. Placing fencing panels on both sides of a post is not a violation of City fencing regulations. You are correct that the maximum fence height is 8 feet.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: