Dog Park in Frisco? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Dog Park in Frisco? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Teresa Szczypinski
Username: Everyrose05

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 07:37 pm:   

Any plans for a dog park in Frisco? I often take my pets to the one in Plano and sometimes it's really not worth the drive. It takes about 30 minutes to get there and sometimes they don't want to stay that long. They love going to the park to socialize with other dogs. I'm sure if Frisco had one, it will be well used.

Rick Wieland, Dir. of Parks and Rec
Username: Rick

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 08:32 am:   

Teresa,

Thank you for taking the time to send your note and commments regarding a possible dog park facility in Frisco.

The potential development of a dog park has been discussed several times over the past couple of years by the Parks and Recreation Board. While there is no current funding allocated for this project, I do believe that the Board is interested in such a project.

In fact, the Board heard a presentation from the support group Citizens for Off Leash Land Animal Recreation (COLLAR) during their September 13th meeting. At that time, the Board committed to discuss this item again during their November 8, 2007 meeting.

Meetings of the Parks and Recreation Board take place on the second Thursday of each month and begin at 6:30 pm. Meetings take place at the George A. Purefoy Municipal Center's City Council chambers.

I would encourage you to attend this or other meetings of the Board to provide your input to this project.

Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to let me or our staff know.

Thanks again for your note and interest.

Rick Wieland
Director of Parks and Recreation
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Laura Basurto
Username: Lpb2007

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   

Hi Mr. Wieland.

Would you please provide the outcome of the November 8th meeting on what the Parks and Rec Board plan to do concerning a future dog park in Frisco?

I have two labradors that would really enjoy running around in the dog park with other canine friends.

Thank you.

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 03:19 pm:   

Laura,

Thank you for your note about the current status of a dog park facility. Currently, the Parks and Recreation Board has taken all of the information that has been provided to it by interested groups and individuals and are planning on meeting with the Frisco Community Development Corporation on Wednesday, February 27th to discuss possible locations for such a facility.

Funding and potential development for this facility have not yet been determined. The Parks and Recreation Board is very cautious not to fund projects beyond their current funding capability.

I feel certain that the Board will be examining all of the projects that are forthcoming and prioritizing them accordingly over the next few months.

If you have any additional questions regarding this, please let me know.

Thanks again for your note.

Rick Wieland
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Shannon Lortz
Username: Ladyaside

Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:08 am:   

Rick,
Will this be an open meeting? Or is it a closed session on the 27th? Thanks

Post Number: 371
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 05:37 pm:   

Shannon,

All of the Boards and Commission meetings are open to the public. I will have a location for this joint meeting between the two boards within the next week or so. You are welcome to get back to me at that time and I will be more than willing to provide that to you.

Additionally, I will be glad to provide a copy of the agenda for that meeting about a week prior to the February 27th date. Please understand that this will be one of several items that both boards will disuss during the course of their meeting together.

Should you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Rick Wieland
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Michele Britton
Username: B00k_babe

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 07:05 pm:   

Please respond with the location and time for the February 27th joint meeting between the Parks and Recreation Board and the the Frisco Community Development Corporation. Where may we view a copy of the meeting agenda?
Thank you.

Post Number: 373
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 05:24 pm:   

Michele,

Thanks for your note regarding information about the February 27, 2008 joint meeting of the Parks and Recreation Board and the Frisco Community Development Corporation.

The meeting will take place on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 and will located inside of the George A. Purefoy Municipal Center at the Vivian Stark McCallum Room located on the fourth floor of the City Hall.

The meeting will begin at 6:30 pm and is open to the public. It should be noted that there will be several items on the agenda with one regarding a discussion between the two boards about revising the park master plan for the B.F. Phillips Community Park.

If both boards are in support of looking at possible revisions to the park's master plan for the location of a possible dog park facility for some point in the future, staff will move forward in scheduling no less than one public meeting with residents near the park site to discuss the possible master plan revision. That meeting time and date has yet to be determined.

Formal revision to the master plan will ultimately require action by the Parks and Recreation Board and the City Council.

Please let me know if you should have any additional questions about this or any future meeting of the two boards.

Sincerely,

Rick Wieland
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Chuck Brown
Username: Csb001

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:13 am:   

Is there someplace on-line where we may view the minutes from the February 27th meeting?

Post Number: 380
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 02:06 pm:   

Chuck,

Thanks for your note. The minutes for the February 27th joint meeting of the Parks and Recreation Board and the Frisco Community Development Corporation will not be considered by either board until their next meeting in March.

I can tell you that both boards discussed and agreed that the B.F. Phillips Community Park would be a proper location for a possible dog park, if one is identified in the future.

Having said that, the Parks and Recreation Department will be hosting a public meeting for residents in the Lone Star Ranch area as well as the Stewart Creek development to discuss this possible revision to the B.F. Phillips Community Park master plan. I anticipate that this public meeting will take place in late March or in April, but do not have a specific date in place at this time.

Our staff will then report back to the Parks and Recreation Board at their next meeting regarding public comments mentioned during that public meeting before taking any action on revising the park's master plan.

The proposed area in B.F. Phillips Community Park for such a facility would be along the southern section of the park, primarily adjacent and west of 4th Army Memorial Road.

Should the Parks and Recreation Board and the Community Development Corporation approve the revision to this master plan in the future, that recommendation would be forwarded to the City Council for final consideration.

I hope that this has helped to provide some idea of what took place at the February 27th joint meeting. If you have any questions regarding the meeting or other items, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks again for your note and interest.

Rick Wieland
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Chuck Brown

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 02:31 pm:   

Rick, thank you very much for the update.

I have one additional question regarding the future public meeting to discuss revisions to the B.F. Phillips Community Park master plan.

Once the meeting is scheduled, how will the residents in Lone Star Ranch and Stewart Creek be notified?

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 03:07 pm:   

Chuck,

Thanks for your note. In regard to your question, typically we put out signs at the parks, and the entrances of the subdivisions regarding meetings of this type.

We will also send out a request to the HOA management companies and ask that they distribute the notification through their e-mail distribution list.

I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks again,

Dudley Raymond
Parks Planning and Business Development Superintendent
972-292-6500
draymond@friscotexas.gov

Nidhi
Username: Nnidhi

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:51 am:   

When will construction for Phase1 start for B.F Phillips Community Park...

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   

Nidhi,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you regarding your post about the B.F. Phillips Community Park.

In regard to your question about the Phase I construction for B.F. Phillips, actually that construction began several months ago and is currently about 60% complete.

Based on the current progress of the project and barring any other major inclement weather over the next several months, we expect Phase I improvements to be complete during this upcoming summer.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to let me or our staff know.

Thanks again for your question and note.

Rick Wieland
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexsas.gov

Chuck Brown

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:09 am:   

Has a date been set for the Parks and Recreation Department hosted meeting for nearby residents to discuss this possible revision to the B.F. Phillips Community Park master plan?

Post Number: 392
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 02:17 pm:   

Chuck,

Thanks for your note. To your question, no, a date has not yet been set for the public meeting to discuss the revision to the master plan for B.F. Phillips Community Park.

We are currently having a proposal developed for the parks consultant to do the analysis and graphic work for the potential revision.

We hope to be in a position to take this proposal for work to the City Council for their approval in May. Based on that, I would anticipate the work by the consultant will take 3-4 weeks and we will make arrangements to host a meeting at that time.

Please feel free to get back to me regarding this and I will be more than happy to let you know an update within the next month.

Rick Wieland
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Chuck Brown

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 09:49 am:   

Regarding the meeting to discuss revisions to the park, has a date been set?

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 04:58 pm:   

Mr. Brown,

Thank you for your note and interest in the meeting to discuss any possible master plan revisions to the B.F. Phillips Community Park.

Just to let you know, the City Council approved a professional services agreement with our parks consultant during their June 17, 2008 meeting for work that would take place in analyzing the possibility of revising the master plan for the B.F. Phillips Community Park site.

Now that this agreement is in place, the consultant will spend the next month surveying the property and analyzing possible locations for a potential dog park facility at this park site.

Additionally, our staff will be working with the FISD to try and reserve the Bledsoe Elementary school site for a public meeting that would probably take place in late July or in August.

We also will be placing notification signs in the Lone Star Ranch area as well as the Stewart Creek Estates neighborhoods to help provide notice for the meetings. I should know more about definitive dates for the meeting, actual location and times within the next 2-3 weeks.

Please feel free to let me know of your interest in getting an update over the next couple of weeks and I will be more than willing to give you what details I have at that time.

I appreciate your interest in this and look forward to seeing you and other residents attending this future meeting.

Rick Wieland
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Baron Young
Username: Baronyoung

Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 01:55 pm:   

Hello, is there any news regarding the dog park?

Thanks.

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:44 am:   

Baron,

Thanks for your note regarding the latest status of a possible dog park facility.

Currently we are in the middle of the process of identifying a location where a dog park would be placed within our system.

The Community Development Corporation and the Parks and Recreation Board have reviewed and recommended to City Council the potential master plan revision for BF Phillips Community Park to accommodate a dog park.

The park consultant for the master plan revision is currently working on the revision documents for the recommended changes and should be finished with this work by the end of the holdiday season. The consultant is also working on potential cost estimation for this facility so that this can be forwarded to the Parks and Recreation Board for future consideration.

Once this has been accomplished, the revision to the B.F. Phillips Community Park will be considered by the City Council after the first of the year.

If the park's master plan is revised by the City Council, our staff will work together with the Parks and Recreation Board to further consider funding and identifying a possible time frame in which the project would be considered for development.

If you should have any additional questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Dudley Raymond
Parks Planning and Business Development Manager
972-292-6502
draymond@friscotexas.gov

Pete Soliz
Username: Psoliz25

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:03 am:   

Are there lights at the new B.F. Phillips location? Last time I called they stated there weren't any? Also new dog park went up on us 75 and Stacy in Allen.

What can we do to help move the dog park along in frisco?

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:54 am:   

Mr. Soliz,

I just wanted to get back to you regarding your message to the Cityís Message Board yesterday. In regard to your question about lighting at the B.F. Phillips Community Park, we do have athletic lighting currently on the five softball/baseball fields located at the site. We also anticipate placing additional athletic lighting on the northern section of the park that will help to illuminate the soccer/football fields located there. This would be a part of the Phase II work at the park that will be taking place over the next year.

In regard to a dog park being developed here, I would tell you that the question of a possible dog park has been a topic of discussion for several years now. For the past several months under discussion the Parks and Recreation Board and the Frisco Community Development Corporation have been working together with staff to determine a possible location for such a facility.

In November, both boards met together and recommended that the master plan for B.F. Phillips Community Park be revised to show a possible location in the southeast section of the park for a dog park facility. The current master plan of B.F. Phillips http://www.friscofun.org/Parks1/Southwest_MP.pdf can be found for your information. Currently the parks consultant is revising this master plan for the park to show the change and this recommendation will be forthcoming to the City Council in January.

Should the City Council approve this master plan revision, the Parks and Recreation Board will begin to discuss what the projected cost for the facility would be as well as when possible funding would be available for such a project. Due to funding limitations, I cannot give a specific time frame in which the project will be coming to fruition, but I do believe that the Board will be looking carefully to try and determine this.

I hope that this has shed some light on a possible dog park and would encourage you to keep in touch with me to see about any updates on this over the next few months. You are also welcome to come to any of the Parks and Recreation Board meetings. The Board typically meets on the second Thursday of each month, with their next meeting on Thursday, January 8, 2009. Parks and Recreation Board meetings begin at 6:30 pm and take place in the City Council Chambers of the George A. Purefoy Municipal Center at 6101 Frisco Square Boulevard.

If you should have any questions regarding this or other parks and recreation topics, please donít hesitate to let me know. Thanks again for taking the time to write your note.

Rick Wieland
City of Frisco, Texas
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Todd Roemmich
Username: Toddroe

Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 03:57 pm:   

Is there any update on the idea of a dog park in Frisco/B.F. Phillips park? (has the master plan revision concept been approved; have funding issues been addressed or resolved?)

Is there any estimate as to when a dog park would be available?

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 03:32 pm:   

Todd,

Thanks for your note and interest in a dog park. On January 20, 2009, the City Council approved the modification of the Master Plan for the park to include a space for a dog park.

At this time, funding or a time frame in which the construction of this facility would be done has not been identified for a Dog Park.

Our staff will continue to work with the Parks and Recreation Board on these issues over the next several months.

If you should have any additional questions regarding this, please feel free to let me know.

Dudley Raymond
972-292-6502
draymond@friscotexas.gov

craig
Username: Craign

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 03:20 pm:   

any updates for a dog park in the city of Frisco?

Perry Harts, Moderator
Board Administrator
Username: Perry

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 05:00 pm:   

Craig,

The Master Plan has been approved but funding has yet to be allocated for its construction. City Council will consider and act upon approving a temporary dog park at their August 18, 2009 meeting.

Dudley Raymond

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: