Model Rockets Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Model Rockets « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Wayne S
Username: Waynegs

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 04:06 pm:   

Are there any specific regulations in regards to low power model rockets in Frisco?

Todd Renshaw, Chief of Police
Username: Todd

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 04:04 pm:   

The Frisco Noise Ordinance discusses rockets:
(Ord. No. 97-04-13, 5, 4-15-1997)

(12) Powered model mechanical devices.
a. The flying of model aircraft powered by internal combustion engines, whether tethered or not, or the firing or operating of model rocket vehicles or other similar noise producing devices, within a residential district or quiet zone, or within 500 feet of any residence or quiet zone, in such a manner as to cause a noise disturbance. Furthermore, any such activity shall create a noise disturbance per se if conducted between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
b. The flying of model aircraft powered by internal combustion engines, whether tethered or not, or the firing or operating of model rocket vehicles or other similar noise producing devices within a nonresidential district in such a manner as to cause a noise disturbance.

Todd Renshaw, Chief of Police
Username: Todd

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 04:07 pm:   

As well as the Parks Ordinance:
(Ord. No. 03-06-44, 6, 6-3-2003; Ord. No. 05-07-51, 3--6, 7-5-2005; Ord. No. 06-06-55, 2, 6-6-2006)

(21) Use of park property for flying radio controlled model aircraft.
a. It shall be unlawful for any person or persons to ascend, descend, operate, or launch any aircraft, except in areas or at times specifically designated for this purpose or by special permit issued by the parks and recreation director.
b. It shall be unlawful for any person or persons to launch or operate model rockets or unteathered radio controlled model airplanes, except in areas or at times specifically designated for this purpose or by special permit issued by the parks and recreation director.
c. The model aircraft user will be responsible for furnishing an annual list of members of any club or chapter to the parks and recreation department.
d. The model aircraft user will be responsible for following all park rules and regulations, all national association rules and regulations, and any amendments thereto. It shall further be the responsibility of any club or chapter to adequately and fully inform all members of said rules.
e. All persons flying remote controlled aircraft must restrict their use to the established flight zone as established by the parks and recreation department.
f. All model aircraft users shall furnish proof of liability insurance acceptable to the city naming the city, its councilmembers, officers, agents, representatives and employees, as co-insured, with a minimum amount of $2,500,000.00 per occurrence.
g. Failure to abide by any provision of this section shall result in the immediate termination of the privilege to use any park for the flying of model aircraft.
h. It shall be unlawful for any person to launch or operate model rockets and/or model vehicles, including, but not limited to, model gliders, model boats and/or model cars in any park in any manner that would or could endanger any other person or property.

Jon Andrews
Username: Gti5notrkt

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 11:27 pm:   

If I launch/land a radio controlled plane from outside a park (example a sidewalk across the street) but fly over park property (assumed to not be creating a menace, noise, dangerous manner etc) how can the ordinance be enforced? All airspace is governed by the FAA not the city. Also the FAA does not mandate carrying any insurance or membership to community associations such as the AMA. Am I correct in my assumptions?

Practically speaking I'm not talking about high speed jets, helicopter etc. more like <16oz hand launched gliders and electric planes.

Thanks.

Rick Wieland, Dir. of Parks and Rec
Username: Rick

Post Number: 485
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2014 - 04:22 pm:   

Mr. Andrews,

Please accept my apologies for getting back to you so late.

In the scenario that you have mentioned, my understanding is that someone would be using some type of radio controlled aircraft outside of the park but flying it inside of the park property.

As it relates to the Comprehensive Park Ordinance, I would still believe that this individual would be knowingly controlling the aircraft into the park, thereby violating the ordinance. We would ask that this activity stop.

I hope that you understand that unfortunately there have been injuries caused in parks where radio controlled aircraft has occurred.

Our intent is for our patrons to be able to use a park as safely as possible for their safety as well as others.

Should you have any additional questions regarding this, please let me know.

Thanks again for your question.

Rick Wieland
Director of Parks and Recreation
972-292-6510
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: