Frisco Trash Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Frisco Trash « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Grass trimmings pick upBen Brezina, Assista07-09-13  10:57 am
  Start New Thread        

M A
Username: Manar

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 05:17 pm:   

Read about NY's plans to start food scrap recycling. Just wondering if there is data on how much it costs to dispose off our trash. How much per capita waste is it. Would looking at how much of it is food scrap or other recyclable stuff make sense for us?
Also being on similar topic, are there any plans on recycling of Styrofoam and plastic bags etc. I know we can take these to the recycle center but more often than not, I have to put it in regular trash. I know I am not the only one guilty of that. With all the packaging of each and every thing there is lot of Styrofoam and plastic bags that can be recycled.
Thanks

Ben Brezina, Assistant to the City Manag
Username: Ben_brezina

Post Number: 449
Posted on Monday, July 01, 2013 - 04:11 pm:   

We were very excited to see New York’s newest endeavor and we continue to watch and learn from many North Western states and cities as they trial blaze with their organics collection programs. We try to stay on the cutting edge of technology and environmental awareness and continually follow and research new avenues for disposal. Unfortunately, the availability and operational ability to collect food scraps and organics with a door to door residential program has not yet arrived in the DFW metroplex. However, we continue to keep the dialog open with all other DFW entities and cities, and certainly foresee its arrival in the future.

As a forward thinking city, we were one of the first municipalities to begin plastic bag recycling and were the first nationwide to begin Styrofoam recycling. We were so forward thinking that we have out done almost all recycling service providers ability to collect and process these products. So until the market pushes recycling carriers around the metroplex (and nation) to start including these items, we will have to default to the drop-off program. Just consider it your chance to stop by our offices and see what new and exciting programs we have going first hand.

Jeremy Starritt
Environmental Services Manager
City of Frisco
972-292-5910

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 10:53 am:   

The same day as your trash pickup.

Sriram Iyer
Username: Sriramiyer

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 10:33 am:   

As part of environmental awareness, is there a possibility for the cities to encourage our residents to make use of our plentiful summer to dry our clothes. Our HOA prohibits clothes lines in our backyard. If we are able to reduce dryer usage in our homes, that will amount to a lot of savings of electricity while at the same time we can harness the natural resources to achieve the same results.

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 01:57 pm:   

I am sorry to hear of this roadblock by the HOA, but the City has traditionally not interfered with HOA’s goals to maintain the value of their neighborhood. I would suggest that you meet with your HOA Board and determine if an alternate idea would work. Ask if they would consider a proposal whereby the clothes would not be visible by the adjacent property owners and those on the street.

The City of Frisco has traditionally taken a pro-active stance regarding energy conservation. We were the first city in the U.S. to enact a comprehensive “Green Building” ordinance to significantly reduce energy consumption in new homes.

John Webb, AICP
Planning Manager
Development Services
City of Frisco, Texas
jwebb@friscotexas.gov

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: