J.R. Newman Spray Park Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » J.R. Newman Spray Park « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

matt c.
Username: Mc2000

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 01:50 pm:   

When will the water restrictions be lifted on the J.R. Newman Park spray grounds? I understand that both Plano and Allen have lifted such restrictions on similar parks.

"Found in the West Falls Village subdivision and next to Izetta Sparks Elementary School, J.R. Newman Park is full of family features. According to Mr. Johnson, the Kiddie Korral play structure and picnic pavilion can provide lots of outdoor entertainment.

Cooling off in the park's new spray grounds will be a way to beat the heat of the summer - but not for a while. The park's spray grounds will remain turned off, as will the spray grounds at Shepherds Glen Park, until the city lifts its water restrictions.

The park also features a walking trail and poems sandblasted into the concrete sidewalks of the Kiddie Korral by artist John Runnels.

J.R. Newman Park is at 8211 Twin Fall Drive, near the intersection of Main Street and FM423."

Rick Wieland, Dir. of Parks and Rec
Username: Rick

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 01:11 pm:   

Matt C.

Thanks for your note about the potential opening of the two different spray grounds that we have at J.R. Newman and Shepherds Glen neighborhood parks.

There is an agenda item found on the upcoming June 5, 2007 City Council agenda that will have the Council consider and act upon upon modifying the current Stage 3 Water Restrictions for the City of Frisco.

One of the recommendations that will be considered will be the ability to open the spray parks that are found at the two referenced park sites.

Should that recommendation be approved by the City Council, our staff will move forward to have the parks open as soon as possible.

Signs would be placed showing regulations for the use of the area as well as times of operation. We will also have this information posted on our web site for additional information.

Please feel free to let me know if you should have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Rick Wieland
Director of Parks and Recreation
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Scissorhands
Username: Scissorhands

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 12:11 am:   

Can you give us an update on the Spray Park?

Rick Wieland, Dir. of Parks and Rec
Username: Rick

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:13 am:   

To Scissorhands, Meredith,and Jennifer,

Thank you all for your notes regarding the spray parks that we have at JR Newman and at Shepherds Glen park site.

With the City Council approval of modifying our water conservation program this past Tuesday, June 5, 2007, we received approval to open operation of our spray ground parks.

By the end of the day on Thursday, June 7, 2007, we had both of the spray parks open and in use. Having said that, we evidently had some computer programming challenges on Sunday, June 10, 2007 with the system located at J.R. Newman Park.

Our Parks Division staff are examining the system at both parks today to ensure that the programming is correct. We also apologize for any inconvenience that this might have caused for users on Sunday.

We will be placing this information into our web site as soon as possible. In answer to some questions about operational times, I would offer the following:

Unless there is a problem with the system, the parks will be open from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm each day of the week;

The system should open during the month of May each year and close at some point in September. Exact dates on opening and closing will be subject to weather conditions at the time;

Both systems have a touch activated pad located on a bollard which will activate the system for a period of between 3-5 minutes before the system will de-activate. Touching the pad again will start the process over.

I hope that this will help to answer some recent questions about our spray parks. I hope that each of you and your families enjoy them. Should you have any additional questions about this, please feel free to let me know.

Rick Wieland
Director of Parks and Recreation
972-292-6500
rwieland@friscotexas.gov

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: